What exactly does serverside pipelining cache?

What exactly does serverside pipelining cache?

CatCat Posts: 18Questions: 8Answers: 0

I'm looking at the DataTables example Pipelining data to reduce Ajax calls for paging, and I don't fully understand what it caches

I'm making a search function for my website, users will be able to submit data to the database trough a different function and DataTables displays the entries as search hits on a different webpage, and I'm trying to see if pipelining would be useful for me or not

Is it only identical pages that will be used from cache, so cache is only used if the user would make a request which would result in an identical page-full of results that they've already seen? A specific collection/page of rows? Or will it cache individual rows to use from cache instead of bringing it from the server?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,726Questions: 1Answers: 10,109 Site admin
    Answer ✓

The pipeline function will simply request more data than is required. For example, if your page shows 10 records, it will request 50. Then it can use the cached data for paging over the next 4 pages. Obviously sorting and filtering can't be cached, so it has to hit the server for that - only paging information can be cached.

Allan

• CatCat Posts: 18Questions: 8Answers: 0

Ahh... I see, just what I needed to know, thank you very much :)

This discussion has been closed.