TableTools UTF-8 in PDF format

TableTools UTF-8 in PDF format

d0znppd0znpp Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2011 in TableTools
Hi all!
First at all, thank you for great tool.

I have a problem with UTF-8 characters in PDF exports.
Anyone can help?

Replies

• d0znppd0znpp Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Really problem to do that?
    Why PDF module used?
  • YahavYahav Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i'm trying to figure out which encoding is used as well...
    the js file says:
    utf8 if utf16 hasn't specified but its still showing invalid characters.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,635Questions: 1Answers: 10,092 Site admin
    AlivePDF is the PDF library that is used to create PDFs on the client-side in TableTools ( http://alivepdf.bytearray.org/ ). Currently its support for UTF8 is somewhat iffy (at least I've not been able to figure out how to do it).

If anyone does know how to do it, or can recommend a different client-side PDF creation library, then please do feel free to comment away :-)

Allan
  • DUCKFACEDUCKFACE Posts: 24Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i have the same problem with UTF-8
    every character different than eng. is getting like "?" in the PDF file. so i have a page of ??????????????
    As I noted above, and in a number of other threads, the PDF export option of TableTools does not currently have UTF8 support. Any suggestions / forks for getting it working are very very welcome.

Allan
  • DUCKFACEDUCKFACE Posts: 24Questions: 0Answers: 0
    why you don`t switch to pdf converter witch supports UTF-8 .. then this really great tool will be universal :P
    Because I haven't found one yet. Do you know of an AS3 PDF generator which does UTF8 and doesn't have a huge file size?
  • chetanachetana Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Is there any support to the UTF-8 encoding yet? I am using this to export a form filled in French to a pdf document and would appreciate if there is any support available for the French characters
    Nope - still looking for a suitable PDF file generator. Any suggestions?
  • igolikovigolikov Posts: 0Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Have you tried purePDF?
  • arcseldonarcseldon Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Great tool, breeze to install. Combination of datatables and tabletools has been a revelation for our site. So far, everything I've wanted as a developer has been possible with this technology. But on this occasion, the lack of UTF-8 support kills it dead as far as PDF goes on my project, which is a Japanese site. Fortunately the excel, csv exports work as expected. Hope this gets fixed soon. Thanks all the same.
    Yup - not disagreeing at all that the lack of UTF8 is a huge pain. I must admit I don't really understand why it doesn't just work in AlivePDF, but it doesn't. I guess I need to hack on the library at some point, although that is likely a little way off with current priorities - or if someone else is willing, that would be superb.

I did try using another library, I think it was PurePDF that igolikov suggested, but the SWF file size was >500K which isn't acceptable.

Allan
  • keahkeah Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Great tool, Allan. Thanks for all of your hard work and your willingness to share. Any chance you would be willing to post the large SWF and PurePDF library files for those of us who might be trade the large file size for the unicode functionality? I'm hoping to use TableTools in a Russian database project I'm working on.
    Unfortunately I don't have it any more - I'd need to recreate it. You'd probably be better of just sending the data to a server and creating a PDF there.

Allan
  • narosofabnarosofab Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I was looking at the documentation for AlivePDF and they have class UnicodePDF which subclasses PDF. Was that not functioning properly?
    I couldn't fire out how to use it successfully. Just using the subclass doesn't appear to resolve the issue. I might try it again sometime, but I'm not feeling too hopefully given that I've tried it a few times before.

Allan
  • narosofabnarosofab Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Where could I look to try implementing this? I'm not really experienced with using swf files.
  • facesadfacesad Posts: 2Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i have been using a pdf creation library c# , it is powerful in creating pdf , very great generating tool. you can take a look at have a try.
    http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp-imaging/pdf-get-to-start/
This discussion has been closed.