DataTables debugger

DataTables debugger

allanallan Posts: 61,433Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
edited February 2012 in Announcements
Hello all,

I'm really delighted to be able to announce the availability of the new DataTables debugger. This debugger is a Javascript bookmarklet which, when run on a page containing a DataTable, will gather information about the table and upload it to the debug server. From there you will be able to view a summary of information about the table and also the full state of the table at the time when the debug bookmarklet was run.

This debugger is intended to assist with support cases for DataTables, particularly in cases where a link to the table in question cannot be posted. It won't directly provide the solution in every situation, but it will certainly assist in debugging any issues that are encountered with DataTables. As such, when posting a question about a specific table and a problem you are facing with it, please run the DataTables debugger on your table and provide the debug code in your support request.

To get started with the debugger just load the debugger home page and save the bookmarklet link to your bookmarks/favourites: http://debug.datatables.net .

I have written a blog entry with further information about the debugger if you are interested in further details: http://datatables.net/blog/DataTables_debugger

Regards,
Allan

Replies

• cbattarelcbattarel Posts: 14Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i've just tested it, it's awesome, great work !
    many thanks
  • quytennisquytennis Posts: 14Questions: 0Answers: 0
    The Chrome extension is pretty awesome:
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fejphlfoaoaikkjgpbhlfmmhhmfhkfcm
  • tommcktommck Posts: 73Questions: 0Answers: 0
    not sure I understand why the extension is necessary... just put it on your bookmarks bar :)
  • allanallan Posts: 61,433Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
    @tommck - It isn't - however some prefer to hide the bookmarks bar to get maximum screen space, or even to just improve the accessibility of the debug bookmarklet (bigger hit area). So not at all necessary, but quite useful if you like to arrange your browser that way :-)

Allan
  • fabdouglasfabdouglas Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Is there a way to get the server debug code ? The provided server is very slow... so this feature is only useful to request support, but not to debug.
    The server code is not currently open source. I think a future enhancement for the debugger must be to include an upload % counter - and yes, I'll be looking at a faster server at some point.

Allan
  • ThibThib Posts: 51Questions: 2Answers: 0
    edited March 2013
    Hi Allan,

I would like to integrate the debugger in Dandelion-DataTables, e.g. in a dedicated test page that would display all DataTables configurations (initialization code + html, one per request and per DOM id) of the web app.

The test page would allow some basic operations like :
    * deleting one configuration, so as soon as the user arrives on a page that uses Dandelion-DataTables, the initialization code will generated once again and then stored
    * deleting all (clear entire cache)
    * debugging using the DataTables debugger

So, is there a way to use the DataTables debugger otherwise than by using the bookmarklet ?

Thibault.
    Sort of - you could trigger the same Javascript that the bookmarklet which would load the required sources and run the debugger script.

Also the debugger is open source on github so you are free to modify it if you need.

Allan
  • ThibThib Posts: 51Questions: 2Answers: 0
    Great, I'll take a closer look at it.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.