Processing not working when JSON has only one row with a null value

Processing not working when JSON has only one row with a null value

boniboni Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited December 2012 in Bug reports
Here's the situation: I have a table that displays assignments, but the end-date of the assignment can be null.
It works fine when there are assignments with end-dates, however as soon as my data only contains a single record, and the end-date is null, it doesn't work anymore.
I'm using sAjaxSource to get the JSON data and when that happens I get the following JS-Error:
[quote]"Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of null" in jquery.dataTables.js:2649[/quote]

Here is my Table:
[code]projectMemberTable = $('#project_member_entries').dataTable({
"bProcessing" : true,
"sAjaxDataProp" : "data",
"sAjaxSource" : baseURL + memberURL + '/all',
"aoColumns" : [ {
"mData" : "id",
"bSearchable" : false,
"bVisible" : false
}, {
"mData" : "user",
"bVisible" : false
}, {
"mData" : "userName"
}, {
"mData" : "role",
"mRender" : function(data, type, full) {
return projectRoles[data];
}
}, {
"mData" : "startDate",
"mRender" : dataTableDate
}, {
"mData" : "endDate",
"mRender" : dataTableDate
}, {
"mData" : null,
"bSortable" : false,
"fnRender" : function(oObj) {
return '';
}
}, {
"mData" : null,
"bSortable" : false,
"fnRender" : function(oObj) {
return '';
}
} ]
});[/code]

And here is the exact JSON that causes this problem:
[code]{
"data" : [ {
"id" : 128,
"user" : 5,
"project" : 127,
"startDate" : "2012-12-22T15:13",
"endDate" : null,
"userName" : "Benjamin Boss",
"role" : "LEADER"
} ]
}[/code]

I've tried to debug it, but I can't seem to find the reason. :/

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin
    The question comes down to, how do you display the absence of data (i.e. null)? An empty cell (i.e an empty string) if you take the Oracle method. Or a cell with `No data` in it? DataTables allows both and more by using the sDefaultContent option - but you need to use this parameter to tell DataTables what to do with null data - it will not just treat it as an empty string (or anything else - it is null, not an empty string!).

Allan
  • boniboni Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I've tried using sDefaultContent. Does not solve the problem.
    It's really weird, because it causes no problems if there are two entries, and the second one contains a null, it works without problems:
    [code]{
    "data" : [ {
    "id" : 5,
    "user" : 1,
    "project" : 1,
    "startDate" : "2013-10-19T08:23",
    "endDate" : "2014-10-19T08:23",
    "userName" : "Max Mustermann",
    "role" : "MEMBER"
    }, {
    "id" : 4,
    "startDate" : "2011-10-19T08:23",
    "endDate" : "2012-12-31T00:00",
    "role" : "LEADER"
    }, {
    "id" : 141,
    "startDate" : "2012-12-31T00:00",
    "endDate" : null,
    "role" : "MEMBER"
    } ]
    }[/code]

This json correctly displays the 3 rows in the table, while the one in my first post just displays nothing and the datatable is stuck at "Processing". With the 3-entry-json, no javascript-error is thrown. So it seems to me that the handling of null if it's in the first/only row is a problem?

I can change my webservice to return an empty string instead of null for all those instances, shouldn't be a problem. But looks like a bug to me. :)

Merry Christmas and thanks for everything (including the awesome datatable)!
    edited December 2012
    If you could link to a test case showing the error, I'll be able to address the issue if it is a bug, benefiting everyone :-)

However, as you can see in this example I just put together, it should work just fine: http://live.datatables.net/odogus/edit#javascript,html

Allan
    edited December 2012
    Okay, this is really weird. I tried the nightly version instead of the one we were using in the project (1.9.4) and it worked. Then I tried the old one again.. and it still worked. The code is unchanged.

Might be the that it was a problem in combination with the browser cache. It sometimes just refuses to refresh. I can't reproduce the problem right now, so I'll asume it just magically fixed itself over christmas. ;)

Thanks for your help, I'll try to save/create a small testcase if it happens again.
    Heh - Merry Christmas ;-)

Allan
    edited January 2013
    It's back again. But this time I managed to get a small test case where it happens! It's a bit different this time, but it seems to be reproducable.

The error: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of null
    What's happening: Processing... is just shown forever
    What data: The data is received via ajax and nested in a json object. But the data itself is null.

Excuse the terrible coding, but I just tried to get a quick and dirty test case together and had no proper way of uploading stuff. I used your example from above as base. :)

Here is the bad test case:
    Data: http://boni.bbgen.net/empty.json

Here is a good test case, to show you that it works with correct data:
    Data: http://boni.bbgen.net/valid.json

Please tell me if that helps. :)
    Did this go down in the flood of new discussions on the front page? :/
    [code]
    {
    "data": null
    }
    [/code]

Change that to an empty array rather than `null` and it should work okay :-). Your JSON there is valid, but DataTables doesn't know what to do with it. Possibly it should handle that, and I'll look into that, but for the moment, just return an empty array when you've got no data. I'd say that's a more accurate representation of the data (or lack of it) anyway.

Allan
    Will do, I just figured the fix would be the same as for the original problem I had (with the null as data for some contained object). This just was the only way I managed to reproduce it. Probably was a cache error after all. ;)
This discussion has been closed.