a very basic question!!!!!!!!!

a very basic question!!!!!!!!!

FurnishedHomesFurnishedHomes Posts: 13Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2013 in Editor
Hi guys,

I have no php experience apart from a tiny bit in my degree. I'm pretty clear on most of the tutorial but I have a bit of a newbie issue - could someone please explain the following line from the tutorial in a bit more depth -

Installing the SQL
Copy the SQL in the file and run it in your database access portal.

I am using phpMyAdmin. I don't have a database. Do I need to create one and somehow add the SQL to that?? To get things working I would like to try and implement the 'users example' from the editor package, but later down the line I want to make a customer contact list.

Any help / walk throughs / links very very much appreciated!

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,805Questions: 1Answers: 10,119 Site admin
    Hi,

Yes, you absolutely will need a database. Assuming you have access privileges you could just use `CREATE DATABASE `myDatabase`` (change the name obviously), or in phpMyAdmin there will be a 'Create Database' link. You'll also need to create a user account which has access to that new database is you don't already.

I'm surprised you don't have a database already. Is it a clean install of MySQL or something?

When you've got a database, click the "SQL" tab in phpMyAdmin and paste the contents of the SQL file into the text area and submit it. The required table will be created.

Let us know how you get on!

Allan
  • FurnishedHomesFurnishedHomes Posts: 13Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Ok Allan, many thanks for the response. Do you know what I may well have a database somewhere that I didn't know of! I asked an IT company to set it all up on our server, so they installed phpmyadmin and sql for me.

I think I'm going to create the database within phpMyAdmin. I can't see where the databases go once they are created so I assume that I would need to export it somewhere?

Right, cup of coffee and time to get started!
  • allanallan Posts: 61,805Questions: 1Answers: 10,119 Site admin
    phpMyAdmin has a list of the databases that you have access to on the left of the window in a list (assuming you have access to more than one database I think). Do you want to send me a screenshot of your phpMyAdmin screen to allan @ this domain.net and I'll hopefully be able to suggest what is going on!

Thanks,
    Allan
    Thanks Allan that's really kind of you, I'm going to give things a go following what you have said so far and come back!
    Ok so after following the instructions I kept getting an error message which ended in the statement 'could not find driver'. This turned out to be nothing to do with datatables but a problem with my php install. It didn't include PDO drivers which are required for datatables editor. Once I got these drivers installed everything worked perfectly after following the tutorial and allans advice above.
    Thank you very much!!
This discussion has been closed.