search mostly broken for me in IE7 & IE8

search mostly broken for me in IE7 & IE8

seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited May 2010 in Bug reports
Hello everyone,

I'm a little in over my head on this forum, hopefully I'm not missing something obvious.

I'm using DataTables on wordpress through the plugin "WP-Table Reloaded". I just discovered that the search box doesn't operate correctly in IE7 & IE8. For example, if I search for "Baltimore" of which there should be ten results, there are none. Searching for "bal" yields a couple results that would have to do with baltimore, but not all of them, one more letter (t) and there's no results.

It's working fine in any other browser. I'm on a mac so testing is a little difficult for me but I've disabled all plugins in wordpress and removed the google map that was on the same page and it was still operating the same way.

You can find the example here:
bwwp.net/find-our-products

I posted on WP-Table Reloaded's forum and the developer referred me here.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!
Thank you,
Sean

Replies

  • seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    bump?
  • seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    bumpity bump bump
  • allanallan Posts: 57,300Questions: 1Answers: 9,127 Site admin
    I don't have an IE machine accessible at the moment, but I'll check it out in the near future. I'm not aware of anything that would cause this behaviour in DataTables, so I'm a bit of a loss just now. An interesting one...

    Allan
  • seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thank you Allan,

    I appreciate you looking into it. I'm looking forward to your ideas.

    Sean
  • anubhav1985anubhav1985 Posts: 13Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Hi seanlaf,

    I am not sure if you checked this or not but it does seem to be broken on IE 6.0 as well.
    Just FYI!

    Regards,
    Anubhav
  • allanallan Posts: 57,300Questions: 1Answers: 9,127 Site admin
    Hi Sean,

    I've just tried your site in IE and yes there certainly seems to be an issue - there is a Javascript error on the page, but I am at a complete loss to explain why. The error would suggest that IE is not finding the 'info' node (bottom left of the table), but it's there in the DOM... It also works in my own demos and sites so there is something funny going on here.

    Could you change the DataTables script location that you are using to http://datatables.net/dev/seanlaf.js please and I'll attempt to debug why this is occurring for you.

    Allan
  • seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thank you Allan for your help. Okay, it's switched to the js file you indicated as far as I can tell.

    thank you!
    Sean
  • allanallan Posts: 57,300Questions: 1Answers: 9,127 Site admin
    Hi Sean,

    I've altered what was causing the Javascript error (and hence breaking the thread), and this does the trick nicely in IE. Filtering now works as expected.

    To be honest I'm not sure why my original code didn't work, just an innerHTML on a DIV... However, jQuery's html() method provides a fallback should that fail and appends the text 'correctly'. This is what is now done.

    This is fixed in the version you currently are linked to - but I'll remove this at some point in the near future (once you've unlinked from it). You could copy what is there and put it on your server, or wait for a little bit for DataTables 1.7 beta, which will include this fix and all the other goodies.

    Regards,
    Allan
  • seanlafseanlaf Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Allan, many many thank you for resolving this for me!! I'll move the file to my server in a couple hours.

    Thank you,
    Sean
This discussion has been closed.