How to best inject data to empty datatable after page has loaded?

How to best inject data to empty datatable after page has loaded?

timgalvtimgalv Posts: 3Questions: 2Answers: 0

Sorry, but I can't quite figure this one out using the documentation (Likely because I'm somewhat new to a lot of this). So I have a page that will be a wizard of sorts. The first section of the page shows in a div and collects some input files and parameters in a form. There is a next button that submits that data via ajax to a servlet for processing. The servlet returns that data via JSON to the web page. At the same time I unhide the div containing my DataTable (which is initially empty). At the same time I unhide the table element on the page, I want to somehow "inject" this JSON object I got from the ajax call in to the datatable. Ideally, the table would not be locked to a certain number of columns (some results will have 4 columns, others 6).

I basically want to do something like:
function theOnClickFunction( jsonData ) {
var resultTable = $('#result_table').DataTable();
resultTable.data = jsonData;
resultTable.draw();
};

What is the best way to do this? There is quite a bit of data being sent in the ajax call (~50kb), and I couldn't quite find a way to make the ajax functionality of datatables work for me. I would prefer doing the ajax separately and just pass the new data to the table on the fly. Thank you in advance!

-Tim

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• rhinorhino Posts: 80Questions: 2Answers: 17
    edited July 2014 Answer ✓

If you need variable number of columns, then I think you'll have to build the table in jQuery before you turn it into a DataTable:

headerRow = ['1st', '2nd', '3rd', '4th', ... ] //you'll probably have to build this based on incoming data

function createTable(headerRow)
        {
            var table = $('<table><thead><tr></tr></thead><tbody></tbody></table>');
            var tr = table.find('thead tr');
            headerRow.forEach( function( val, index, arr ) {
                tr.append('<th>' + val + '</th>');
            });
            return table;
        }

Or something like that. Then add the ajax data via initialization, something like:

var jsonString; //you got this from ajax somewhere

var table = createTable( headerStuffs );
        $('#result_table').replaceWith( table );
        $('#result_table').DataTable( {
            data: JSON.parse( jsonString )
        });

Alternatively you can use rows().add() to add the ajax data, if you like/need.

• rhinorhino Posts: 80Questions: 2Answers: 17
    Answer ✓

I've made a little live.datatables.net demo for you as well. Hope that helps!

• timgalvtimgalv Posts: 3Questions: 2Answers: 0

Thanks, rhino! I appreciate the help!

• ashiersashiers Posts: 101Questions: 8Answers: 7

Since you're on the Java platform, you may want to also look at the JED website for further examples. http://jed-datatables.ca/jed/

This discussion has been closed.