Is there an option to use CSS Display: Table on instead of the element?

Is there an option to use CSS Display: Table on instead of the element?

wmurphyrdwmurphyrd Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

I wrote some nice CSS to increase horizontal space by moving cells from some columns down into a second line within the table row that works by changing the display property of the <TD> elements to inline-block and making the total width of the cells greater than the width of the row.

Works great in modern browsers, but 10% of my healthcare-based users are locked into IE8, and IE8 refuses to honor changes to the display properties of table-related elements.

Can DataTables be configured to work with DIVs styled to behave as tables through the CSS display property (table, table-row, table-cell) in order to get around the IE8 limitation?

Answers

• wmurphyrdwmurphyrd Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Oops, some items got stripped from my title because they were HTML elements. It should have read:

Is there an option to use CSS Display: Table on DIVs instead of the TABLE element?

• allanallan Posts: 61,903Questions: 1Answers: 10,148 Site admin

Is there an option to use CSS Display: Table on DIVs instead of the TABLE element?

No - I'm sorry to say not. There isn't even a workaround - DataTables fundamentally requires and HTML table. It wouldn't just be a rewrite to support something other than tables - it would be an entirely new project - how is how much the table tag is embedded into DataTables!

Sorry I don't have better news!

Allan

This discussion has been closed.