How can I allow users to type in their own options in a dropdown?

How can I allow users to type in their own options in a dropdown?

skingsking Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hello,

I need to have a dropdown in my Editor table where users can type in a new option if they one they want isn't listed. I'm doing this in a non-Editor dropdown using select2 because I also need the automatic search-while-you-type functionality. This is the code I'm using outside Editor.

$("#dropdown").select2(
        {
            allowClear: true,
            createSearchChoice: function (term, data) {
                if ($(data).filter(function () {
                    return this.text.localeCompare(term) === 0;
                }).length === 0) {
                    return { id: term, text: term };
                }
            },
            multiple: false,
            data: options
        });

Is there a way to configure Editor's select2 plug in to take these same options? I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Thanks for any advice!

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,821Questions: 1Answers: 10,127 Site admin

Hi,

You can pass select2 options directly into the control using the opts option for the field (docs - have a look specifically at the second example at the bottom of the page).

Regards,
    Allan

• skingsking Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Is it possible to use the plugin with a select2 that is an <input> instead of a <select>?

Must admit I didn't know it could do that! I know it can put its own text input in to allow easy selection of values, but the Editor plug-in will only create a select list. You could readily modify it if you want to create a text input - the element is created using conf._input = $('<select/>').

Regards,
    Allan

Update for anyone reading this - the input option has been deprecated in Select2 4.0. There is now a tags options which can be used to allow users to enter new data.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.