bProcessing - Wiki Travel Guide

bProcessing - Wiki Travel Guide

allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin
edited May 2009 in General
This post is spun off from http://datatables.net/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=230 and the comments regarding bProcessing are below:

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,439Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin
    We just started using Datatables in our wiki travel guide on Travellerspoint. It is used to display accommodation listings inside the articles. Without some sort of pagination, they would take over many of the articles, because there are so many. For an example, check out our London Travel Guide (http://www.travellerspoint.com/guide/London/).

Thanks for a great plugin - it really does do exactly what I was looking for! :)
    Hi Daamsie,

Nice to see how you use it, but I think you have a little bug in your page with the dataTable. When I click on sort the 2nd column the processing div shows, but when it is ready, it doesn't go away.
    Testen with IE7.

Greetings

Wim
    Hey Selles, thanks for the feedback. I've turned off the processing indicator. It's not really necessary for our relatively small tables.

Actually, I think there is an inaccuracy in the documentation (or a difference between versions). It says the default is for the processing indicator to be off. However, I hadn't turned it on and it was showing. Now I've manually set it to false to make it disappear. Initially it wasn't showing, but then we upgraded to the latest version of datatables to fix a nasty IE bug. Since then it started showing.
    Hi daamsie, Wim,

I had a look when the processing indicator was still on and could see the problem you described Wim. However, that solved now with daamsie's update.

There is a different in the default value for the bProcessing variable - I noticed that you are using v1.3.11 for this site and yes there was a change in the default value between the 1.3 and 1.4 series. The documentation on DataTables.net refers to the the current release (1.4.x) - if you want the older documentation can be found on my own site: http://www.sprymedia.co.uk/article/DataTables but I would recommend upgrading to 1.4 or 1.5 (beta) :-)

Regards,
    Allan
  • daamsiedaamsie Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Hey Allan, we initially tried it with 1.4, but got a *really* nasty error in IE (like this one http://ow.ly/8tzI) . It's a real pain of an error to figure out and obviously mostly related to IE crappiness.

So we reverted back to 1.3 and it fixed it.

We're using jquery 1.2.6 at the moment, so our guess was that there was some sort of incompatibility? Upgrading jquery will have to happen at some point obviously, but I'd want to test a lot of the other functionality that depends on it when doing that, so am holding off for now.
    Hi daamsie,

Thanks for the information - looks like a really nasty error that. If I understand it correctly the you should be able to avoid it with just a small change you your code:

[code]
    $().ready(function() {
    [/code]

should become:

[code]
    $(document).ready(function() {
    [/code]

i.e. when the document is ready and available then the Javascript engine can start manipulating the DOM. If it starts to manipulate the DOM before this point (I think it's just running immediately with the first snippet) then the JS engine will likely throw an error.

DataTables 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 should all be compatible with jQuery 1.2 and 1.3 (although DT 1.3 is not tested with jQ 1.3 as much).

Regards,
    Allan
  • daamsiedaamsie Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Actually, that was my original code. I only changed it to the one I have to try and get rid of it (which didn't work).

I was really stumped on the error. For now, I'm happy how it works and that it works :) It sure beats banging my head against a wall for hours. But I will try to get up to date on the code at some point in the future.
    Hi daamsie,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like quite an odd issue. However, if you've got it working now - then go with that! If it ain't broke... :-)

When you do come back to look at upgrading, if you are still running into problems, you know where to post for help now!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.