Build DataTables without old API

Build DataTables without old API

MisiuMisiu Posts: 68Questions: 4Answers: 2

I'm not sure this was asked before, maybe not, or maybe I searched not enough.

Would it be possible to build DataTable without old API? As You (@Allan) wrote current version supports both old and new API.
This is for compatibility, but maybe with time old can be removed? This would decrease size of JS file and would "force" everyone to move to new (faster) API.

I don't know how much "old" code is left, but removing it would make code clearer and easier for managing.
What do You think? Do You plan to remove old API at some point?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,822Questions: 1Answers: 10,127 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Yes - I plan to offer the option to remove the old API in future. I think it will save around 8KB from the library size. The old API is just a shim layer to the new API now, to try and make it as small as possible.

It won't be removed by default in the 1.x branch, but it will become optional (likely in 1.11).

If you actively didn't want it, you could just delete it from your local copy just now. There is no code internal in DataTables that depends upon it.

Allan

• MisiuMisiu Posts: 68Questions: 4Answers: 2

Thank You for reply.
    Good to hear that You plan to remove old API.
    I just looked into DataTables JS and I for now I'll wait with removing old code by hand. I don't want to mess anything :)

i just noticed Buttons repo? Any info when You plan to release it? (I'd like to create client side excel export that I wrote about earlier)

• allanallan Posts: 61,822Questions: 1Answers: 10,127 Site admin

Likely within the next month or two. It isn't finished yet, although the core functionality of it is :-)

Allan

This discussion has been closed.