DT for BI/Reporting?

DT for BI/Reporting?

mbaasmbaas Posts: 67Questions: 24Answers: 1

I need to do some reporting in my web-app, and I wonder if DT is appropriate for that - or if you can perhaps recommend alternative approaches.
Basically I have approx. 200 records with numeric fields and some grouping & selection-criteria. I'd be happy to pre-select a grouping (although user-selection would be nice) and it would be nice if there as an option to (dynamically) hide/show group-details.

Maybe this is too much for DT - but on the other side is also feel a little small for a full blown Pivoting/BI-Solution???

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

If your data can be shown in a table then DataTables should be able to cope with it. Are you able to link to a page showing the sort of table you are working with? I must confess I've not heard the term "BI" before - what is it?

Allan

• mbaasmbaas Posts: 67Questions: 24Answers: 1

BI="Business Intelligence", sorry for the confusion.
    The data is private, but I'll put together a sample and add it to this thread.

I'm thinking I probably should have heard that term before and wonder what it means for my business that I haven't ;-).

It's been around for "ages" - and in the beginning I really didn't like it, <rant>because it was (probably still is) a buzz-word for various things. Sometimes even grouping of data in a report might make vendor courageous enough to label his stuff with "BI" ;-) </rant>

It probably means only good things that you haven't heard of it ;-)

So now - my stupid little example can be seen @ http://mbaas.redirectme.net/sprep.html

Some of the missing features that I am dreaming of are:
    - showing sum of "Betrag"-Column in the Group-Rows (possibly also moving .group-row and sum below the group)

• ability to easily show/hide the detail-rows (or just show the Group-Rows)

• ideally also change the grouping-criteria on the fly

Are you still happy for DT to do that? ;-)

Answer ✓

showing sum of "Betrag"-Column in the Group-Rows (possibly also moving .group-row and sum below the group)

That's certainly possible by changing the grouping code. This is an example I wrote for someone else a while back for how to do an append, rather than prepend for the group. Adding a sum would need the grouping code to add that.

ability to easily show/hide the detail-rows (or just show the Group-Rows)

This is the tricky one. Its possible, but it would need a custom filter to be written.

ideally also change the grouping-criteria on the fly

The grouping code would need to be updated for that.

So yes it is possible, but you'd need to write some code for it.

Longer term I plan to introduce a new row grouping extension for DataTables which will make all of this very easy - but that will take a bit of time before i can do so!

Allan

Thanks- It's encouraging to see you're thinking in that direction - so I'll try to get it working for my little sample :)

This discussion has been closed.