Changelog requested for future releases

Changelog requested for future releases

mihomesmihomes Posts: 150Questions: 19Answers: 0

As I periodically check the site for new version releases I see 1.10.12 has been released not long ago. Being a user for 2 years or more this issue comes up every time a version is released... I don't know what was changed, added, etc! I can't find anything here at datatables.net or the GitHub repo that shows this information.

I wouldn't say Datatables has a small manual/doc so this makes things pretty hard on us end users to know 'what happened' in any new release. Unless we are constantly checking the forums I don't see how anyone could reliably know if new features were added or old ones were revamped in some way.

Please consider keeping a reference of changes/dates along with any releases to make things easier on us :) I for one have a considerable amount of code integrating with Datatables to do one thing or another on the page... if there is something I can optimize better or add for additional user-friendliness I would like to know about it.

With that said, what is different in 1.10.12 compared to 1.10.11?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Release notes are always linked on the CDN. This is a link to the notes for 1.10.12. They are also available in the RSS feed and I plan to develop an API with then in future.

I'll be writing a blog post about the recent releases with direct links to the release notes.

Where else would it be useful to link to the release notes? They exist, but I guess just aren't very visible.

Allan

• mihomesmihomes Posts: 150Questions: 19Answers: 0

Ah, yeah I would have never found that - thanks. Maybe add a link on https://datatables.net/download/index and the GitHub readme or something?

Sounds good - thanks! The download page is due for a revamp, and I'll look into adding the release notes then.

Allan

• jgoldmanjgoldman Posts: 4Questions: 1Answers: 0

Allan, another small tweak might be to put a link to the previous release note in the current release note. After reading your comment and following the link, it was obvious to me that the link to the notes for 1.10.11 would be http://cdn.datatables.net/1.10.11/ , but not everyone would make that connection. Thanks!

Makes sense - thanks! Might be a little more tricky to automate, but I'll see if I can add that in.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.