speed performance charts to compare jquery DataTables vs ASP.NET Grids (or Telerik RadGrids)

speed performance charts to compare jquery DataTables vs ASP.NET Grids (or Telerik RadGrids)

newemployee909090newemployee909090 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

My company was interested in using jquery DataTables. At present, our ASP.NET C# application uses ASP.NET Grids and Telerik RadGrids to display data. However, we wanted to see speed performance charts to compare jquery DataTables vs ASP.NET Grids (or Telerik RadGrids). Could you please provide some speed performance charts that shows how the aforementioned Grids perform in terms of speed?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,863Questions: 1Answers: 10,135 Site admin

Performance comparison isn't something I've done in the past, instead I've just focused on making DataTables as solid, compatible and performance as possible with paying much attention to what the others are doing (for better or for worse). So I'm afraid I don't have a direct comparison I can link you to.

Allan

• newemployee909090newemployee909090 Posts: 2Questions: 1Answers: 0

Even if you Don't have any kind of Performance comparison, do you know of anyone else who might have given some sort of official review
    ( for example, an article from a popular Tech magazine ) that would help developers consider JavaScript grids? I just need something that would give management at my company to consider the advantages of using JavaScript grids to display data.

• allanallan Posts: 61,863Questions: 1Answers: 10,135 Site admin

You would probably be best writing down what you require from the table component and then checking through the feature lists of each of the ones you are considering to make sure it does what you need. For example DataTables tries to strike a balance between code size (i.e. download time) and features and performance. e.g it will cope with tens of thousands of records on the client-side without issue, and has a server-side processing mode for more (I saw one table with 20 million records for example). It has a clean an expressive API, is thoroughly documented and is smaller in code size than some others.

I don't think anyone will be able to do your research for you, different grids have different strengths and you need to pick the one that suits your requirements. Having said that if you google for it, there are a number of comparisons between the components (almost all incomplete - one for example claims DataTables only gets data form the DOM, which is nonsense :smile:).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.