v1.6 .NET compilation issues

v1.6 .NET compilation issues

gbenettgbenett Posts: 14Questions: 5Answers: 0

While upgrading my app from 1.5.6 to 1.6.0, I ran into some thorny compile-time bugs in the new DataTables .NET code. I fixed them, but would like to know whether others are seeing the same issue, or whether my hacks will break something else down the road. Here are the problems I encountered in Visual Studio Premium 2013.

In abstract class Query.cs, the following lines gave syntax errors:

internal virtual string _bindChar => "@";
        internal virtual string[] _identifierLimiter => null;
        internal virtual string _fieldQuote => "'";

so I regressed them to the 1.5.6 code:

// Copied from v1.5.6 to fix compilation errors
        virtual internal string _bindChar { get { return "@"; } }
        virtual internal string _identifierLimiter { get { return ""; } }
        virtual internal string _fieldQuote { get { return "'"; } }

In addition, in method void _Prepare(string sql), I had to change the vars left and right to strings to work with String.Join:

// did not compile in line 1012) return left + String.Join(right + '.' + left, a) + right + alias;
         var left = idl[0];
         var right = idl[1];

// fix
         var left = idl[0].ToString();
         var right = idl[1].ToString();

There was one other issue as well but I can't recall it now. I'll append if I remember it later. Thanks for any guidance.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,903Questions: 1Answers: 10,148 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I think it will be the same as discussed here. Basically the Editor code uses a newer version of C# than ships with VS2013. You can install the updated compiler from NuGet for VS2013.

Allan

• gbenettgbenett Posts: 14Questions: 5Answers: 0
    edited February 2017

Plus ça change! I had no idea C# had major new syntax features. However, it looks like more than a NuGet package. This helpful summary says the new features are in VS2015 (aka Roslyn). I have the latest version of NuGet packages Microsoft.Net.Compilers (1.3.2) and Microsoft.CSharp (4.3.0), but the C# 6 syntax won't compile in VS2013.

My workarounds are just regressions to C# 5 and should work fine, right? I'm not doing an IDE version upgrade right now.

Yes I think so. To be honest, I think I got a bit carried away by the C# 6 features and should probably have stuck with 5 a bit longer.

Did you change the compiler to v6 after installing the NuGet package? Properties > Build > Advanced... > Language Version.

Allan

I was unaware of the Advanced Build options, thanks. The dropdown in my version of VS 2013 only goes up to C# 5 so that's clarifying. I think this link may be the last word on the matter. It says, NO.

As for not rushing into every new feature in an upgrade, I believe conservatism is a virtue in software design. But it's hard not to use the cool new stuff. That's how they get you hooked on the next version! Thanks for the discussion.

The advantage of .NET is that you shouldn't actually need to compile the DataTables.dll yourself. If you reference it in a project that is not the Editor source project (since that will compile it), it should run without issue due to the CLR.

Allan

Allan, I am so used to compiling everything from source I didn't even see the DLL in the download. Using it now -- works perfectly. Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.