IE/Edge bug: Object doesn't support property or method 'getRootNode'

IE/Edge bug: Object doesn't support property or method 'getRootNode'

c.eatsc.eats Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited May 2017 in Free community support

I am using the latest version of DataTables and the DataTables Select extension. I noticed this bug today while running DataTables in Internet Explorer, using Edge. I have a function that runs on user-select. Whenever I click on a row in the table to select it, IE reports this error in the console:

Object doesn't support property or method getRootNode.

I did a little research on this. It looks like y'all are using a native browser function here (getRootNode) to check something upon user-select. Reference here.

And it looks like maybe this isn't supported in IE? https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Node/getRootNode

Some things to note:
* My table has paging.
* You can only select 1 row at a time.
* In my select DataTable options, blurable is set to false.
* The error is occurring every time I click outside of the table - as if it is blurable! And I verified: this:

$('#table').DataTable().select.blurable is false
BUT
at that point of time in the code when it errors out:
ctx._select.blurable is true

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,609Questions: 1Answers: 10,088 Site admin

Thanks for letting me know about this. Fixed in this commit.

Regards,
    Allan

• setwebmastersetwebmaster Posts: 78Questions: 5Answers: 0

I still have this problem with datatables 1.10.16, bootstrap 4 stylesheets and Select 1.2.2.

The error message appears when using colvis. I click on the dropdown, it shows the columns names, but then I can't click anywhere else to deselect it, it won't respond to anything and the error message about getRootNode appears in console.

If I can provide any more relevant details, please inform me and I'll try to answer as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Nvm, updated to latest version of everything and it works again. I would have one little question though regarding the download builder, when we download it and select "concatenated and minified", it still gives us all the extensions files, is that normal?

Are they required or can we only link the main files generated?

Thanks again for your superb plugin!

Yes it will include all the files so you can switch between the various options (rather than building four different packages for the same software). You can loose the extension files if you don't want them.

Allan

Ok I get it so it gives us all the distribution files so that we can customize what we want to load afterwards if we want.

But then we lose the "concatenation" etc... which is pretty easy to build back with any task runner.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah exactly. Those with a task runner already might prefer to do the concatenation using that. Or if you are using HTTP/2 only, don't bother with concatenation :).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.