Page not updating when using standalone editing with dot notation

Page not updating when using standalone editing with dot notation

jazjaz Posts: 16Questions: 3Answers: 0

I am having problems with the page values updating when I use dot notation. Everything works just fine when I the data-editor-field values are straight field names (i.e. name), but as soon as I add some sort of dot notation (i.e. Installations.name, I can't get the return values to update the page correctly.

Here is the relevant HTML:

<dt data-editor-label="name">Name</dt>
<dd data-editor-field="Installations.name">Test Installation</dd>

These are the POST values that are passed to my ajax call:

action: edit
data[keyless][DT_RowId]: 6
data[keyless][Installations][name]: Test Installation blah

This is what is returned from the server call:

{"data":{"Installations.name":"Test Installation blah"}}

I have also tried returning this:

{"data":{"Installations":{"name":"Test Installation blah"}}}

The values are being updated correctly in the database and when I refresh the page, it shows the updated values.

I'm sure that there is something simple that I'm missing, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,300Questions: 26Answers: 4,769

I think you are missing returning the 'DT_RowId`. Take a look at this example:
    https://editor.datatables.net/examples/advanced/deepObjects.html

Go to the Ajax data tab and make an update to the table. I think it will show you how the data return should look.

Kevin

• jazjaz Posts: 16Questions: 3Answers: 0

Thanks for the link to that page. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem. :(

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,300Questions: 26Answers: 4,769

Does this document help?
    https://editor.datatables.net/manual/server

If not then can you provide a link to the page showing the issue?

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,715Questions: 1Answers: 10,107 Site admin

The second return from the server that you show looks like the correct one. However, as Kevin says, if you have a link to the page showing the issue I can trace through the code to see where things are going wrong.

Thanks,
    Allan

Thanks for your help, everyone. Here is a link to the page: https://unlessweb.com/usafcc/installations/view/3

My project stagnated for awhile and I'm just now picking it back up again. Did anyone have a chance to look at this?

Thanks!

Can you tell me where on that page I should click to activate the inline edit. I don't see anything obvious.

Thanks,
    Allan

Sorry, thought I had opened up the editing capabilities to be public. You should now be able to edit any of the values for Name, City, State, etc by clicking on them.

Thanks!

Awesome - thanks for that. I see the issue now. Before we go any further with the debugging though, could you possibly update your Editor to 1.6.5 - there is a decent change that this has already been resolved (I've got a feeling I remember this in the early 1.6's).

Allan

Updated. Still seems to be an issue though. :/

Got it this time! Its because caused by the DT_RowId which is being included in the return. Editor is seeing that as the row identifier and thus looking for a data-editor-id attribute in the DOM. Since that isn't being found, no update happens.

So two options:

1. Use data-editor-id on the container element with a value that will reflect the value DT_RowId is being returned with, or
    2. Remove the DT_RowId from the JSON return object.

Either should allow it to work correctly.

Thanks,
    Allan

edited September 2017

Still having problems... :(

Option #1 - I added data-editor-id to the <dl> tag. I also tried creating a div around the entire <dl> and adding data-editor-id to that. I also tried adding it to elements further up the ancestral chain. I always got the same error:
    3:132 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'DT_RowId' of undefined at Editor.<anonymous> (3:132)
    at Editor.dispatch (jquery-1.12.4.js:5226)
    at Editor.elemData.handle (jquery-1.12.4.js:4878)
    at Object.trigger (jquery-1.12.4.js:5130)
    at jQuery.fn.init.triggerHandler (jquery-1.12.4.js:5866)
    at Editor._event (dataTables.editor.js:4831)
    at Editor._submit (dataTables.editor.js:5453)
    at send (dataTables.editor.js:3648)
    at Editor.submit (dataTables.editor.js:3670)
    at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (dataTables.editor.js:5010)

Option #2 - I removed the DT_RowId value from the returned object. No error, but values still don't update.

I've updated the url to use for testing - https://unlessweb.com/usafcc_staging/usafcc/installations/view/3

I'm getting a 403 error back from the Ajax request at the moment - although the page itself appears to be loading okay.

Thanks,
    Allan

This discussion has been closed.