newbie question

newbie question

YajYaj Posts: 1Questions: 1Answers: 0

I need some help with picking the right tools for a project.
Would like to import a bunch of excel spreadsheets (preferably server side), join a bunch of columns, and display a single spreadsheet on the browser to the end user. What's the best tool to go about this, assuming Data Tables is used for the final display? Is there a mechanism so that what is being displayed to the end user on the browser via Data Tables is secure i.e. only data fields accessible / allowed for the user to view are only displayed?
Thanks in advance.

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,853Questions: 1Answers: 10,134 Site admin

What's the best tool to go about this

I'm afraid I can't help with the Excel import into the database. That isn't a function that is provided by DataTables or any of its utilities. Depending on what you are using on your server-side, there will likely be a number of solutions - for example for .NET there will be Excel integration methods.

Is there a mechanism so that what is being displayed to the end user on the browser via Data Tables is secure i.e. only data fields accessible / allowed for the user to view are only displayed?

Authentication of this kind is up to yourself and again not something that DataTables supplies. You need to basically have your server-side script return data base on whatever permissions model you have.

Allan

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,809Questions: 85Answers: 406
    edited August 2017

MS Excel has a plugin for MySQL. Works well to import a couple of spreadsheets. Didn't have any issues even with a couple of thousand rows in the spreadsheet.
    So the “tool“ for this would be the Excel plugin plus MySQL as the database.
    https://www.mysql.com/de/why-mysql/windows/excel/

You could use this to populate your tables and then data tables and Editor to join those tables, display and edit them.

Make sure you only select those fields on the server side that the user may see. Just hiding inappropriate fields on the client side is mostly not safe enough. This is easy to do with data tables and Editor.

This discussion has been closed.