ajax and state saving

ajax and state saving

macateemmacateem Posts: 10Questions: 3Answers: 0

I've got an angularjs app that loads datatables when all content is loaded. works great. the source is ajax and i've got stateSave = true.

What I'd like to see happen is: when I navigate to the page again (not refresh), I would expect the dataTables to not fetch the data from the server again, but use what it already has. Also, at the very least, I'd like the dataTables to save state. here are my issues:
- every time i navigate to the page, it fetches the data from the server
- i'm using stateSave = true but this only works when i refresh the page. Shouldn't it work if i simply navigate away, then navigate back?

Wondering if anyone has seen this before. Am I not using stateSave correctly? Or do AJAX source and stateSave not work like I thought it would?

Answers

• bindridbindrid Posts: 730Questions: 0Answers: 119

each time you navigate to a page, its a fresh load. As such, it will go back to the server and get data. If you really need to prevent that from happening (though I cant imagine why), you can store data in the sessionStorage and retrieve it when the page loads

• macateemmacateem Posts: 10Questions: 3Answers: 0

@bindrid The user experience is better. User comes to a list and waits a bit for the data to load, which is fine. I click an entry to view/edit that record. Save the record and return to the list. I have to wait for the list to repaint, and I lose my state (sort, filter, etc).

And actually, if I refresh the page, it does keep the state. But if I navigate away and come back, it does not keep it. The stateSave example on this site keeps the state, even when you navigate away. So I'm wondering what's happening.

• macateemmacateem Posts: 10Questions: 3Answers: 0

Any ideas?

• colincolin Posts: 15,142Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

It would be worth checking your table initialisation. Is it only being called once, with stateSave set to true?

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

Can you link to the page please? Every time you initialise the table, it will restore state if state saving is enabled and there is a state present.

The data in the table is not part of the state. If you are using ajax to get the data, then yes, it would always make a request to get the data when the table is initialised.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.