In datatables,How can we cascade dropdown data while using multiple dropdowns for search

In datatables,How can we cascade dropdown data while using multiple dropdowns for search

LearningfingerLearningfinger Posts: 5Questions: 1Answers: 0

Datatables according to us has fantastic features. We have found lots of solutions from this forum. Thanks.
We were trying to build a search with dropdown values. All is well but for this case.
Simple Example Scenario to help understanding(not the real case) -
Datatables shows country city and say population
Say we have a dropdown search for country and city
When country dropdown has a value selected for country , only the cities of that country should be shown in the city dropdown.
How can this be achieved ? We are using the standard way ie code in the initComplete method for populating the dropdowns.

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,144Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Hi @Learningfinger ,

Take a look at this example here, this does something similar. The dropdowns are dependent upon the selection on the others to the left.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Colin

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,350Questions: 37Answers: 394

This blog post covers a pretty similar scenario:
    https://datatables.net/blog/2017-09-01

• LearningfingerLearningfinger Posts: 5Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Colin, but i have not used yadcf till now.

It will take time to understand and port our requirement to yadcf. Our site is already live
    https://www.learningfinger.com/booklist

When i started researching for dropdown searches, i did find yadcf do amazing things. iam sure it has used the features and hooks of datatables to do it. I was wondering why there is no discussion or documentation of how it can be achieved using the base datatables api hooks directly. Any leads in this direction would be helpful

Thanks Tangerine. We are not using editor version of datatables.

• colincolin Posts: 15,144Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

I was wondering why there is no discussion or documentation of how it can be achieved using the base datatables api hooks directly.

That's all YADCF is doing - it just uses the DataTables API to achieve what it does. If you were to do something similar, you'd probably end up rewriting what YADCF already does :)

YADCF just uses DataTables, so it won't require a port in anyway - you just use it to construct any custom searches that you want.

C

Ok. Thx. Agree.
    But i did see the constructs of yadcf to define and customise columns of the table- a little different than normal datatables and hence was considering the porting effort.

One more question, yadcf says

Filters can be placed in the header (thead) or in the footer (tfoot) , second argument of yadcf constructor or third argument of init function

Is it possible to add the filters in altogether separate div....something like a search pane ?

This discussion has been closed.