client side, server side question

client side, server side question

javismilesjavismiles Posts: 205Questions: 38Answers: 3

question, when it says that less than 10000 rows, client side is better, more than 100K server side is better,
are we talking here about the total size of that table or the number of rows returned?
So if i I have a table with 100000 rows but the maximum number of rows to be returned are 1000 because queries always get a subset of the total, then are we referring to the 1000 returned rows or the 100K total size of the table?

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,141Questions: 26Answers: 4,735
    Answer ✓

Server side processing is used to resolve performance issues when retrieving lots of data. Basically the amount of data in the ajax response and the ability for the client to build the tables.

If you have a table with 100k rows of data but only return 1000 then client side is the way to go. The table size doesn't matter to the client. The amount of data sent to the client does matter.

See this FAQ:
    https://datatables.net/faqs/index#speed

Kevin

• javismilesjavismiles Posts: 205Questions: 38Answers: 3

thats a great feedback thank u , then I think maybe I should try again client side, because my tables may grow very large, but people won't need to get , most likely, more than max a few hundred rows each time

• javismilesjavismiles Posts: 205Questions: 38Answers: 3

yes this is great,
    im switching to client side everything,
    as the number of rows returned in my ajax should never go above 1000,
    thank u again,
    maybe i can now try the memcached stuff again with client side and maybe it goes better who knows

This discussion has been closed.