Datatables Editor with Bootstrap 3 and Autocomplete - autocomplete hidden behind modal form

Datatables Editor with Bootstrap 3 and Autocomplete - autocomplete hidden behind modal form

JosephGoodwinJosephGoodwin Posts: 5Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi there

I've been trying to get autocomplete to work with datatables editor. It works perfectly with the standard js files but when I use the bootstrap files, it does not anchor the autocomplete list to the textbox control on the modal edit form but to somewhere underneath the form, so you can still choose an item by pressing the down arrow but not see the list.

I've made an example here:
http://live.datatables.net/lafineyu/3/edit

Could you point me in the right direction to get the list to show underneath the textbox?

Thanks

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,383Questions: 26Answers: 4,781

I might be misunderstanding the problem but I don't find the issue of not seeing the autocomplete list. I click on a name, clear the field and type j. I see both options "Johanna", "Jossefin". Let us know how to recreate the problem.

One thing I see is to try changing editor.dataTables.css to editor.bootstrap4.min.css.

Kevin

• JosephGoodwinJosephGoodwin Posts: 5Questions: 1Answers: 0

I changed the editor.dataTables.css to editor.bootstrap.css which helped the look of the form, thank you.

The issue is not with the inline editing, it's when you select the line and edit it using the edit button and the modal form appears. The autocomplete is not visible, it's hidden behind the modal form.

Thanks,
    Joe

• colincolin Posts: 15,166Questions: 1Answers: 2,588

Hi @JosephGoodwin ,

I suspect I'm missing something, but those autocomplete boxes are appearing beneath the input elements for me - see this screenshot

I'm on Fedora + Chrome,

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Your screenshot doesn't look like the example I made on live.datatables.

The autocomplete works fine on the normal editor screen; its when you use the bootstrap css and js files, that's when it doesn't work for me on that example. I have tried it using Chrome and Edge on Windows 10 and get the same result on either browser.

Cheers
    Joe

Hi @JosephGoodwin ,

Yep, that screenshot comes from the link in your first message. I also just tried it on Windows with Chrome and it looks the same there. Could you check that link please (http://live.datatables.net/lafineyu/3/edit), and repost if you think it's not correct.

Cheers,

Colin

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,383Questions: 26Answers: 4,781

@colin I'm able to replicate the problem. The autocomplete is configured for the Name. Open the edit window, clear the field and type j. Once you type j you can use the up and down arrows to select between the two names beginning with j. They just don't appear in front.

It behaves the same with using editor.bootstrap.css also.

Kevin

Answer ✓

Ah, yep, thanks Kevin, I was miles away with that.

It just needs the z-index set like this.

.ui-autocomplete  {
      z-index: 9999 ; 
    }

See example here.

Cheers,

Colin

Thanks Kevin and Colin, it's the knowledge of which item to tweak which you guys have that makes the difference.

Thanks again

Joe

This discussion has been closed.