Absurd assignment of zero width to the table

Absurd assignment of zero width to the table

batch2kbatch2k Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited September 2009 in Bug reports
After some manipulations with dateTables plugin I got a very strange bug on my table -- it shrinks very much in width and the reason is that plugin assigns a "width: 0" property for the whole table and each heading column ().
Moreover, this bug appears only in one version of the page (english) and looks as usual (say, 'width: 904px') in other (russian) although they are built from single template.
I did not perform any modifications of the code or RSS; unfortunately, I can't give an example here because that page is 'hidden'.
What are the possible reasons for that? Maybe, I can have some racomendations on parts of the code where I can track this bug myself?

Replies

• batch2kbatch2k Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    UPDATE:
    If this will help, I can get rid of this parasitic effect by setting 'bAutoWidth' to false, and this will certainly help to locate the problem.
    But anyway I'm interested in finding the bug.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin
    Hi batch2k,

This has been discussed a couple of times before:

http://datatables.net/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=490
    http://datatables.net/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=491

Basically it's due to the fact that the web-browser has not yet calculated the width of the table, and therefore DataTables has no information for how to make it's calculations - so not too absurd :-)

You can set bAutoWidth to fast to get around this, or give the table an absolute width.

Regards,
    Allan
  • batch2kbatch2k Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Oh, thank you. Probably, you should put some "fool-proof" check in the code? E.g., if width is not known, do not use it with bAutoWidth?
  • allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin
    Hi,

It does seem like quite a good idea to put in a check to say if the calculated with is 0, then don't be "daft" and actually use it! It's possible to get unexpected effects such as the column widths jumping around a bit if this occurs - but it's probably better than what is there at the moment... I'll have a look at how suitable this will be and put it into the next release if it looks good.

Regards,
    Allan
This discussion has been closed.