Protect deployed webapp based on editor plugin

Protect deployed webapp based on editor plugin

klinglerklingler Posts: 90Questions: 42Answers: 2

Good evening (o;

As I, or my employer are due to soon to buy the editor plugin I would like to ask:

When I deploy a web project to a customer with datatables/editor....
would the customer be able to just copy over the datatable/editor js/css stuff for his own projects?

Or is there any way to protect this besides using ioncube?

thanks in advance
richard

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin
    Answer βœ“

would the customer be able to just copy over the datatable/editor js/css stuff for his own projects?

Technically yes they can. There is more or less no way to stop that and its a risk that we have to take as a business. But it's not something that you need to worry about! They wouldn't get the benefit of the documentation or support if anyone did want to go down that route...

Also ioncube is a PHP encoder. Our PHP libraries for Editor are actually open source - it's the Javascript part that has its own license.

Regards,
    Allan

• klinglerklingler Posts: 90Questions: 42Answers: 2

Hello Allan

Think ioncube is also able to encrypt javascript as well when it is embedded, but not sure 100% as itβ€˜s been a looong time I used it (o;

cheers
    richard

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Hi Richard,

Not sure - their docs suggest it can't be using Ioncube - although that might be out of date?

We use JScrambler for obfuscation of Editor's code in the trial software. It just isn't practical to require that to be used for deployed applications though (nor fair in my opinion - I wouldn't watch to purchase software that I am then told to obfuscate on deploy - so that's not how we sell it :smile:).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.