Compound database primary key - example doesn't work

Compound database primary key - example doesn't work

json81json81 Posts: 24Questions: 6Answers: 1

Hi!
I seems to me that the "Compound database primary key"-example doesn't work. I expected the error message to be "This staff member is already busy that day." but instead it shows the default SQL error message: "An SQL error occurred: SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry '32-2020-03-28' for key 'PRIMARY'"

https://editor.datatables.net/examples/advanced/compoundKey.html

/Anders

Answers

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,808Questions: 85Answers: 406

Yep, the example seems to be broken.

For "lazy people" there is a way to take care of foreseeable SQL errors client side without writing a single line of server side code. This simply replaces the system error message with something more meaningful to the user.

editor
    .on('postSubmit', function (e, json, data, action) {
      if (json.error) {
          if ( json.error.indexOf('1062 Duplicate entry') >= 0 ) {
              json.error = lang === 'de' ? 
                 "Leider darf ein Genehmiger nur einmal genehmigen. \n\
                  Bitte wählen Sie einen anderen Genehmiger!" : 
                 "Sorry, one approver may only approve once. \n\
                  Please choose a different approver!"; 
          }
          if ( json.error.indexOf('1452 Cannot add or update a child row') >= 0 ) {
              json.error = lang === 'de' ? 
                  "Keine Dateneingabe erlaubt, nur Auswahl!" : 
                  "Data entry not permitted, only selection!";
          }
      }
    })

• colincolin Posts: 15,143Questions: 1Answers: 2,586

Thanks for pointing that out, and yep, I'm seeing that too. I've raised it internally (DD-1393 for my reference) and we'll report back here when there's an update (it'll probably be on the next web-site build which tends to be around the time of releases).

Cheers,

Colin

• allanallan Posts: 61,716Questions: 1Answers: 10,108 Site admin

I missed the validator for it unfortunately. There should be a global validator for the instance which checks the database to see if there is already a matching item in the database, and if so, then return a nice looking error rather than the SQL one. Its just a case of catching the error earlier.

@json81 - What server-side platform are you using?

Allan

• json81json81 Posts: 24Questions: 6Answers: 1

Thanks for all replies. I am using PHP.

Best Regards
    Anders

• paul@dmcreative.compaul@dmcreative.com Posts: 27Questions: 5Answers: 0

I see this error is still occurring in the online examples, have the php libraries been updated in Editor 2.0 to return a cleaner error message?

edited April 2021

Right enough I still haven’t written the validator for it. It isn’t the libraries that need to be updated, but rather a validator used for in the example PHP. I’ve got a bug for this to be fixed in the next patch release now.

Allan

That's the change finally made for this and it will drop in 2.0.2. The compound key example does actually have an edit validator already, but not a create one, which is what I have now added.

Regards,
    Allan

This discussion has been closed.