display of form error message in footer of editor box

display of form error message in footer of editor box

LimpEmuLimpEmu Posts: 63Questions: 17Answers: 1

I am running into a problem with the form error message that used to appear in the footer area of the form. After updating from Editor Version 1.9.1 to 1.9.3, I found that for 1.9.3 form error messages are displayed at the bottom of the form, just above the DTE_Footer while 1.9.1 shows form error messages in the footer area.

Looking at the source shown in the first screen shot below, the top section shows the behavior with 1.9.1, i.e., the DTE_Form_Error section is part of DTE_Footer_Content/DTE_Footer. The bottom section shows the behavior with 1.9.3, i.e, the DTE_Form_Error section is part of DTE_Body_Content. The 1.9.3 result is shown in the second screenshot.

This change would be ok (even though I did like the previous appearance in the footer better), however, for this form I use the technique shown in live.datatables.net/hasuqubo/1/edit to keep the editor window open after an update. In other words, after a record is updated I immediately call the function edit( items [, title [, buttons [, show ]]] ) to re-open the editor. Once I re-open the editor, the form messages are back in the footer where they used to be, i.e., when I look up the source, the DTE_Footer_Content includes the DTE_Form_Error section.

What is the intended behavior? And is it possible to have the errors show up consistently in the Footer area? I much appreciate your feedback.

Beate

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I think I'll revert that behaviour for 1.9.4 actually. The reason for it was to better handle really long error messages. Instead what I'll do is put it back in the footer, set with ellipsis overflow and a title attribute containing the full string.

Going to drop 1.9.4 later today.

Allan

• LimpEmuLimpEmu Posts: 63Questions: 17Answers: 1

You are awesome! Thank you!

Restored to its original position in Editor 1.9.4 which I released last night.

Thanks for the feedback on this!

Allan

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406

I found it here: https://editor.datatables.net/download/1.9.4

Thank you, Allan!

Just tested it, and the form error messages look great. Thank you so much!

Sorry - I forgot to update the download builder. Its there now - or on the Editor download page as you found.

Allan

• robert.odegard01robert.odegard01 Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0

Hi Allan, how do you prevent the error message from being modified with ellipsis? I would like the message to appear and be wrapped not truncated.

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

That's not currently possible - the message is always truncated with ellipsis. It is there in the DOM as hover text, so you may be able to scrape it. I agree that it should be available, either by default or as an option, so I've raised it internally (DD-2023 for my reference) and we'll report back here when there's an update.

Cheers,

Colin

• robert.odegard01robert.odegard01 Posts: 6Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks Coin. this change was all started with this issue I submitted a while back, but the way it is now breaks what I need

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

Ah I remember that now. Allan rolled that change back as it broke something else. His aim was to give it more thought but I think it slipped out of our heads.

Colin

That's correct - the CSS styling for this prove to be more complex that I had expected to ensure backwards compatibility with older browsers and also allow the buttons to be of flexible width.

It is something that is still on our radar and will be addressed though.

Allan