Can one edit more data that is shown in a list, & can one edit a tree-structure with 1-N relats?

Can one edit more data that is shown in a list, & can one edit a tree-structure with 1-N relats?

ghherlinghherlin Posts: 20Questions: 3Answers: 0

Good afternoon,

I'm close to committing to your product for an update of an (8-year) old .NET/DevExpress application involving tables with over 100 fields, and wondered about how to display some of these in the list, and all in the editor form.

In addition, refactoring these tables creates(several in each case) subtables in a 1-N relationship with the original, and it would be necessary for the editor form to allow listing of the child lines in a list in which the lines can also be edited in another editor form.

In searching for existing info, I found this tantalising reference to an old post that resembles my first concern, but all that info seems to have vanished: [https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/10704](http:// https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/10704 "https://datatables.net/forums/discussion/10704")

For the other concern, I can understand why there would not be a fully worked-out example in your site (there are so many possible variants...), but can you reassure me that I'll be able to insert an editor list C into an editable form for a line of the parent table P, and possible another list GC in the editable form for a line of C, and so on...

I hope this is clear to you; I had some difficulty in expressing something that is clear to me - such is life.

THanks in advance for your attention, and hoping for a clincher.

GHHerlin

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

Hi,

it would be necessary for the editor form to allow listing of the child lines in a list in which the lines can also be edited in another editor form.

Sounds like the nested editing feature we introduced in Editor 2 will fit the bill for you?

but can you reassure me that I'll be able to insert an editor list C into an editable form for a line of the parent table P, and possible another list GC in the editable form for a line of C, and so on...

Is this basically the same thing as the nested editing?

Allan

• ghherlinghherlin Posts: 20Questions: 3Answers: 0

Yes, that looks very promising. I'll give it a try in the demnonstrator I'm building for my client, and come back to you.

And thank you for your promptness. I appreciate.

But what about the table with 130 fields? The question there was, can I display only the key fields (5-10) in the list, but all 130 in the editor form, and how?

Sure, there is an example of that here.

Allan

• ghherlinghherlin Posts: 20Questions: 3Answers: 0

Sorry for the delay in coming back, there have been unexpected events (in another project).

I had actually seen that example, and what is still not clear to me is the following: can one have one data source (with just the key elements in it) for the DataTable, and use another source with the line key element(s) as parameters to load 1 line into the Editor form.

The rationale is that the data size per line for the 130 fields is conservatively several hundreds of times larger than the key elements data, and constructing the dataset, transferring it and storing all of that in the client browser will be crippling.

In the proposed scheme, we can use the "short", "quick" dataset to load the list (even using all the lazy loading facilities), and transfer only the data for 1 line to the editor form whenever needed and proceed onwards without much additional delay on form loading... It would also simplify acquisition of eager locks for the line when editing is required.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

GHHerlin

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification - in that case yes, the example I linked to isn't exactly what you want. Instead, use the preEdit event to make an Ajax call to the server to get the latest data for all the fields in the form when editing is triggered on a row and then use set() to set those values into the form.

Regards,
    Allan

This discussion has been closed.