Vertical Scrollbar Visibility

Vertical Scrollbar Visibility

debeerdebeer Posts: 11Questions: 1Answers: 0
edited October 2011 in DataTables 1.8
Just upgraded my dev system to 1.8.2 from 1.8.1 and have the following problem as a result.

I have a number of tables on a single page. Each table starts out hidden under a concertina heading. When I open the first concertina (it can be any one of the tables) the vertical scrollbar fails to appear. When I open another concertina, the vertical scrollbar appears on both. After that, the scrollbars stay visible provided I keep at least one concertina open. If I close all concertinas, the whole sequence begins again.

Each of the tables uses both vertical and horizontal scrolling with a fixed left hand column whose width is set to 170px. Changing the width of the fixed column does not make any difference.

My Fixed Columns is V2.0.1

I had this problem previously under 1.8.1, and it appeared to be happening because I had sScrollX set to 100%. When I set sScrollX to 98%, the scrollbar appeared reliably, but now I can do what I want with sScrollX - the scrollbar behaves as above, even when sScrollX is set to a small percentage of the viewport, like 50%.

My general table settings are:
[code]var initSettings = {"sScrollY":"400px","sScrollX":"98%","sScrollXInner":"","bScrollInfinite":true,"bScrollCollapse":true,"bPaginate":false,"bProcessing":true,"bAutoWidth":true,"bInfo":false,"bStateSave":true};
$(".hookan_display").dataTable( initSettings );[/code]

A sample fixed column table has settings:

[code]new FixedColumns( oTableGroups, {
"sHeightMatch": "auto",
"sLeftWidth": "fixed",
"iLeftWidth": 170,
} );
oTableGroups.fnAdjustColumnSizing();[/code]

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,840Questions: 1Answers: 10,134 Site admin
    Is there any way you can give me a link to your page please? Also, are there any warning being dumped onto the console by DataTables?

There were a few changes to how the table width was handled in 1.8.2, but they were intended to fix things! :-)

Allan
  • debeerdebeer Posts: 11Questions: 1Answers: 0
    @allan
    I was able to solve this with some CSS. When I set my DataTables class width to 100% and the sScrollX width to 98%, it all works again.

For some reason 1.8.1 worked OK without that combination - but then I do have an unusually complex table.

Thanks
  • allanallan Posts: 61,840Questions: 1Answers: 10,134 Site admin
    That is very odd. Good to hear you have a work around for it, but it would be good to be able to get to the root cause. If it is possible to see your example with the issue, that would be great.

Allan
  • debeerdebeer Posts: 11Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited October 2011
    Hi Allan
    this turns out to be dependent on screen resolution.

The test/workaround I did this morning was done on an old iMac G5 at 1334 X 480. I normally work on an Intel iMac at 1680 X 1050 - this afternoon I tested at 1680 X 1050 and had the scrollbar problem - even with the workaround that went OK on the G5.

When I set my Intel iMac to 1024 X 728 or 1280 X 800, the problem disappears.

I don't have a way to put you on directly because both test systems are running locally (not on the web) and I don't want to put the problem on the live system - I am not even sure that it is a bug and not some misconfiguration of DataTables.

Might it help to see the generated pagecode? It is pretty messy, having all kinds of EE generated stuff all over it.

When I have a moment I will try to simplify down to just the table without the EE CP stuff and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.