Edit selector: {rows: VALUE, ...

Edit selector: {rows: VALUE, ...

dasdsadasdsa Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hello!

Need some help!
This is client-side, I'm editing a row, but I can't update the rowid (the <tr id='rowID'> in the HTML id is updating correctly).
How can I update the value of the "selector: {rows: rowID}"?

Suppose i started with this row:

then I'm editing this row using table.row(rowID).node().id = NEWID;

but when I use Jquery table.row('#'+NEWID); it returns as undefined, even if the row ID has changed:

if I print the row, it's still showing with the old value:

how can I update this value of the last print screen, or get the row by the NEWID?

I hope this is clear, please let me know if it's not.

Br,

pst

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

You need to update the row's data using the row().data() method. At the moment you are updating the DOM id, but DataTables caches that value for performance reasons, so its internal cache won't be updated using the method you currently are.

Allan

• dasdsadasdsa Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0

Sorry, I guess I should have added the code snippet, this is what I'm using to edit the row/cell in this case, I believe I'm using the row().data() but please let me know if I'm wrong:

var templateRenameFileCell = "<a href='#' class='text-decoration-none toggleSelectedRows'" + 'onclick="renameFileOldName(' + "'" + "{{{NewName}}}')" + '"' + "data-bs-toggle='modal' data-bs-target='#renameFile' id='renameFileIndexButton'><i class='fas fa-edit'></i>Rename file</a>";
    var resultRenameFileCell = Mustache.render(templateRenameFileCell, Context);

var oldRow = table.row('#' + _oldName);
                        var rowIndex = oldRow.index();
                        table.cell("#" + _oldName, 0).data('<i class="far fa-file"></i>' + _finalName);
                        table.cell("#" + _oldName, 3).data("<a href='#' class='text-decoration-none rowButton toggleSelectedRows' onclick='MoveFileModal(" + '"' + _finalName + '"' + ")'><i class='fas fa-file-export'></i> Move file</a>");
                        table.cell("#" + _oldName, 4).data('<a href="#" class="text-decoration-none toggleSelectedRows" onclick="removeFileConfirm(' + "'" + _finalName + "'," + "'" + _prefix + "', '" + rowIndex + "')" + '"' + "><i class='fas fa-trash-alt'></i> Remove file</a>");
                        table.cell("#" + _oldName, 5).data(resultRenameFileCell);

oldRow.node().id = _finalName;
                        oldRow.data().id = _finalName;

table.draw();

Same code in a print screen:

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,275Questions: 26Answers: 4,765
    edited September 2021

You probably need to do something like this:

var data = oldRow.data();  // Get the current row data
    data.id = finalName;  // Update the id property

oldRow.data( data ).draw();  //. Apply the updated data to the DT cache

Using oldRow.data() is a getter and using oldRow.data( data ) is a setter.

Kevin

Sorry, but the above example doesn't seem to work.
    I've tried as it is, and also a few changes, like adding all cell values to an array and passing it as oldRow.data(dataArray).draw();
    I'm able to set the data correctly, and it will take it to the front end. The problem is not being able to call the row by its new ID after it was changed.

edited September 2021

Well, I was able to get it solved using index instead of the ID selector, if someone needs for future reference I don't think this is the best practice, but will do for now:

var oldRow = table.row(":contains('" +  _oldName + "')");
                        var rowIndex = oldRow.index();
                        console.log("Index: " + rowIndex);
                        table.cell(rowIndex, 0).data('<i class="far fa-file"></i>' + _finalName);
                        table.cell(rowIndex, 3).data("<a href='#' class='text-decoration-none rowButton toggleSelectedRows' onclick='MoveFileModal(" + '"' + _finalName + '"' + ")'><i class='fas fa-file-export'></i> Move file</a>");
                        table.cell(rowIndex, 4).data('<a href="#" class="text-decoration-none toggleSelectedRows" onclick="removeFileConfirm(' + "'" + _finalName + "'," + "'" + _prefix + "', '" + rowIndex + "')" + '"' + "><i class='fas fa-trash-alt'></i> Remove file</a>");
                        table.cell(rowIndex, 5).data(resultRenameFileCell);

oldRow.node().id = _finalName;
                        oldRow.id = _finalName;

table.draw();

The issue with the solution above is that if I have a row with the value "001.dat" and another one with "01.dat" when calling the selector, it will get the first one it encounters, not necessarily the one I wanted.

The problem might be from having . in the id. See this doc:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Global_attributes/id

Here is a simple example, based on your above code:
    http://live.datatables.net/giminila/1/edit

It has these two statements:

//var newId = '001dat';  // This works without period
        var newId = '001.dat'  // Doesn't work with period

Running it like this won't work. Use the browser's inspect tool to verify that the id of the tr is updated, for example:

<tr id="001.dat" class="odd"><td class="sorting_1">Test 01</td><td>loc 01</td></tr>

But jQuery is unable to find the row.

Toggle the commented lines above and run the script again. You will see that it works.

Kevin

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin

If you are using a period in an id with jQuery you need to escape it:

newId = newId.replace('.', '\\.');

http://live.datatables.net/giminila/4/edit

Personally I'd try to avoid it if at all possible though.

Allan

Hello guys, thanks for all the support!
    I'm using a replace at the moment and it's working, the issue was the "." after all.
    Wish you all a great day, let me know if I can get you a coffee or something :D

Coffee or beer works for me :smile:

Glad you got it working.

Kevin