Ignore Zero When Rendering a Number in Money Format

Ignore Zero When Rendering a Number in Money Format

Ninja JoeNinja Joe Posts: 15Questions: 7Answers: 1

To display currency, I am using:

columnDefs: [
{ targets: [ 1 ], render: $.fn.dataTable.render.number( ',', '.', 2, '$','' ) },
],

It works great! My numbers are displayed as $136,029.14.

However, when a number is 0, I want to show my users 0, not $0.00. How can I modify my code in columnDefs to do that? My first thought was a ternary statement but without knowing the value of the cell, I am unsure how to proceed.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,269Questions: 26Answers: 4,765
    Answer ✓

Use columns.render. The number renderer, $.fn.dataTable.render.number, can take an additional API display(). Something like this should work:

{ targets: [ 1 ], 
        render: function (data, type, row) {
          return data === 0 ? 0 : $.fn.dataTable.render.number( ',', '.', 2, '$','' ).display( data );
      }
    ],

Didn't test this code so hopefully its close enough to make work :smile:

Kevin

• Ninja JoeNinja Joe Posts: 15Questions: 7Answers: 1
    edited January 2023

Thank you, kthorngren. Your suggestion worked, WITH some modifications. Here's the final code I ended up using, hopefully it helps someone in the future:

$( '#certificates-datatable' ).DataTable( { scrollX: true, pageLength: 50, pagingType: 'full_numbers', 'order': [ [ 4, 'desc' ] ],
            { targets: [ 1 ], render: function( data, type, row ) {
                return ( data === '0' || data === '0.00' ) ? '0' : $.fn.dataTable.render.number( ',', '.', 2, '$', '' ).display( data ) }
            },
        ]
    } );

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

I think this is a really good point actually. I think this is something that should be built into the number renderer. I'll add that for the next release.

Allan

• soulbriskisoulbriski Posts: 21Questions: 7Answers: 0
    edited December 2022

How would this work if we wanted to swap currency for percentage after an update to the data?

Scenario: The table is a list of voucher codes originally drawn with column 5 displaying either % or £ values. I edit one row and change it from 50% to £68 (I'm only changing the value, not the symbol)

The table is originally drawn and column 5 is rendered thus:

function(data,type,row,meta){var spec;switch(row.user_credit_type){case '0':spec=new Intl.NumberFormat('en-GB', { style: 'currency', currency: 'GBP'}).format(data);break;case '1':spec=new Intl.NumberFormat('en-GB', { style: 'percent', minimumFractionDigits: 2}).format(data/100);break;}return spec;}

When I edit one of the rows via a popup modal, I update the table using:

table.cell(that, 'credit:name').data(myData.voucher_value)

which all works perfectly well but it now says 68%

How do I update the rendering to display it as £ instead of %

Many thanks

• kthorngrenkthorngren Posts: 20,269Questions: 26Answers: 4,765

@soulbriski

How do I update the rendering to display it as £ instead of %

Without seeing a running example showing the problem its hard to say what the problem might be. First step is to do some debugging of the columns.render function when making the change to the data. Presumably when making the change the value of row.user_credit_type is 1 causing the style { style: 'percent', minimumFractionDigits: 2} to be applied.

If you need help debugging this please provide a link to your page or a test case replicating the issue.
    https://datatables.net/manual/tech-notes/10#How-to-provide-a-test-case

Kevin

• srgloureirosrgloureiro Posts: 7Questions: 2Answers: 0

@allan Are there any updates on this?

(novice in jquery myself)

I want to show:

1 => 1 (not 1,00)

1.5 => 1,5 (not 1,50)

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

I've never thought of a nice way to implement an option for this in the number renderer API. Possibly the precision parameter could double as a "significant figures" option if prefixed with < or something like that? That's assuming I've understood your request corrected - you want a maximum of 2 decimal places to show, but reduce it to significant figures only if possible?

Allan