view as list or gallery

view as list or gallery

jordidamwichersjordidamwichers Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited October 2009 in General
Hi Allan,

Firstly I would like to compliment and thank you for a wonderful plugin.
I am using DataTables to show pieces of art (about 500 paintings) by a dutch painter.
I have gotten to the point that all the information is loaded correctly and am very enthousiastic about the result!
My question:
I would like to have the possibility to switch from 'list view' to 'gallery view' (like Ebay), where only the thumbnails of the works are shown. Could this be done? I have absolutely no idea where to start.

If anyone can help, please, keep it simple for I am quite new to Jquery and DataTables.

Jordi

Replies

• jordidamwichersjordidamwichers Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Anyone?

I would like to keep the sorting and searching functionalities but change the view from table to thumbnails in a grid.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,864Questions: 1Answers: 10,136 Site admin
    Hi jordidamwichers,

Interesting one! I've not noticed the eBay 'gallery' view before - quite neat. The short answer, is no, I'm afraid this isn't really possible in DataTables at the moment. The reason for this is that DataTables is very much row based data, but this application would require cell based data. It might be possible to give this effect quite easily using server-side processing, but using DOM based data would require shunting cell data around and be quite tricky, sorry :-(.

So, if this is important to have, I'd suggest giving server-side processing a go, and just output the information on a per cell basis (but remember to make sure you pad the last row to have the right number of columns!).

Regards,
    Allan
  • jordidamwichersjordidamwichers Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Thanks a lot. Only read it just now, makes me feel less stupid :|

Jordi
This discussion has been closed.