Editor C# .NET Where and OrWhere clause

Editor C# .NET Where and OrWhere clause

david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0
edited February 2023 in Editor

Link to test case: N/A
Debugger code (debug.datatables.net): N/A
Error messages shown: N/A
Description of problem:

I have an array of strings that contain the ID's of records i need to retrieve from the database. How do I create a where clause, what I am doing is not working. The issue is the ID's are generated dynamically with no limit on the number of ID's being requested.

string[] ids= { "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9" };

editor.Where(r =>
{
    bool firsttime = true;
    foreach (var i in ids)
    {
        if (firsttime)
        {
            r.Where("ID", i);
        }
        else
        {
            firsttime = false;
            r.OrWhere("ID", i);
        }
    }
});

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0

The WHERE CLAUSE we are looking for based on the example above is included below.

WHERE ID=3 OR ID=4 OR ID=5 OR ID=6 OR ID=7 OR ID=8 OR ID=9

As i stated earlier, the number of ID's is variable so the solution needs to be dynamic. Thanks again in advance for any help provided.

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Hi David,

Try this:

editor.Where(q => {
      q.Where(r => {
        foreach (var i in ids) {
          r.OrWhere("ID", i);
        }
      });
    })

The reason I think this will make a different is that Editor.Where() does not automatically do grouping, but Query.Where() does (i.e. that inner q.Where() is going to be wrapped in parenthesis).

Allan

• david.j.meyer2@boeing.comdavid.j.meyer2@boeing.com Posts: 54Questions: 15Answers: 0

This worked perfectly, thanks Allan. It generates an OR condition where clause dynamically enclosed in parenthesis. Here is an example of a where clause generated using the code you provided. I only had 4 ID's in this testcase.

WHERE ("ID" = :where_1 OR "ID" = :where_2 OR "ID" = :where_3 OR "ID" = :where_4 )

I am including the generated where clause to help anyone else attempting to programmatically generate a dynamic where clause.

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Great to hear that did the job - thanks for posting back!

Allan