FixedHeader not 508 complaint

FixedHeader not 508 complaint

Andrew_NZAndrew_NZ Posts: 3Questions: 2Answers: 0

When using fixedHeader I am failing 508 testing. This is because it creates 2 tables with two duplicate sets of thread.

I was hoping I could simply set the role on the table in dataTables_scrollHeadInner as role='presentation' which I can add after rendering but it still fails as it contains the TH elements. I'm not sure if my approach is even the right way to handle this.

Link to test case:
https://datatables.net/extensions/fixedheader/examples/options/scrolling.html

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,853Questions: 1Answers: 10,134 Site admin

Hi,

The scrolling feature in DataTables isn't ideal for accessibility at all. If accessibility is a concern, I would suggest not using it. The reason for this is that we have to split the table into three parts, the header, body and footer. This allows the body to have its own scroll area. But it means in DOM terms that the three are separate.

There are a few possibilities though - I could set a hidden role on the detached header, leaving the screenreader to use the thead that is still attached to the body (for alignment). They are height:0 but that shouldn't matter to the screenreader (maybe?! they are do different things!). The FixedHeader could be the same.

What 508 test suite are you using here? I'm wondering if I can run checks against it. I'd also like feedback from someone who uses a screen reader on a day to day basis.

Regards,
    Allan

• Andrew_NZAndrew_NZ Posts: 3Questions: 2Answers: 0

I know we are using ANDI for testing. I am not sure if the compliance team are using other software as well.

I think adding the hidden role will help on the header and footer. Although because they use TH tags it raises a warning that it is still a data table. I saw a website that was raising a similar issue with screen readers failing because of the TH tags.

https://www.powermapper.com/tests/screen-readers/tables/table-role-presentation/