Getting "oConfig.fnInit is undefined" error when trying to load table with table tools

Getting "oConfig.fnInit is undefined" error when trying to load table with table tools

cipherouscipherous Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited December 2011 in TableTools
Hi

It seems that in my table when I initialize the datatable with

"sDom": 'T<"clear">lfrtip'

it seems to throw ""oConfig.fnInit is undefined".

However, if I remove the "T" from the sDom parameter, the table initializes just fine. Which pretty much nullifies the usage of table tools for me. Is there something I am missing? I have sSwfPath defined and oTableTools.sSwfPath defined as well.

This is with Datatables 1.8.2 and Jquery 1.6.3

Replies

• cipherouscipherous Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I used firebug to trace the problem,

it seems that TableTools.Buttons has "fnInit": null defined for the flash specific functions. Somehow, null gets translated to undefined when doing
    [code]buttonDef = $.extend( {}, TableTools.BUTTONS[ buttonSet[i] ], true );[/code]

the error is throw when

[code]this._fnFlashConfig( nButton, oConfig ); [/code]

the following line fails within the method

[code]
    if ( oConfig.fnInit !== null )
    {
    oConfig.fnInit.call( this, nButton, oConfig );
    }
    [/code]

oConfig.fninit is actually undefined as opposed to null.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,795Questions: 1Answers: 10,115 Site admin
    Interesting! I would have expected this basic example (http://datatables.net/release-datatables/extras/TableTools/index.html) to also fail in null was being converted to undefined.

I've just tried this on the console:

[code]
    var o = { a: null };
    var v = $.extend( {}, o );
    [/code]

and v.a is null rather than undefined. So I'm not to sure what is happening here.

Allan
    edited December 2011
    It maybe due to the version of Jquery and its implementation of $.extends then

Also,

wouldn't it be better to cover both cases by doing
    [code]
    if (! (oConfig.fnInit)) {
    }
    [/code]

hmmm..according to my research, this bug with extends should've been fixed 4 years ago!

http://bugs.jquery.com/ticket/2600

It also looks like the example you provided fails on my system, so it must be the jquery lib that I am using.
    aaaaand it was an older version of jquery. Sorry, working with legacy systems can be a pain.

thanks for your time Allan and great job with the plugin!
  • allanallan Posts: 61,795Questions: 1Answers: 10,115 Site admin
    Heh - no worries. And yep - it might indeed be better to just doing if (variable) rather than checking explicitly for null. I'll keep it in mind for future!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.