(solved) fnReloadAjax - oTable is undefined under dT 1.8.2

(solved) fnReloadAjax - oTable is undefined under dT 1.8.2

IanDMacIanDMac Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited January 2012 in Plug-ins
Hi,

Apologies as this seems to have been discussed many many times before, but on looking through hundreds of posts pertaining to different versions, fixes and added features, the resolution does not appear very clear to me, so apologies if somewhere the straight answer is staring me in the face.

I am trying out dataTables at the moment and it looks swell and I have examples working without issue locally and on a test domain. My requirement for moving forward with dT is for the selection of different Ajax data source files to keep the amount of data down to a minimum, so looked at the fnReloadAjax function.

My problem is that when ever I action the function it always comes back with a browser error of oTable is undefined.

I created a file called testreload.js that contains the following:

[code]
$.fn.dataTableExt.oApi.fnReloadAjax = function ( oSettings, sNewSource, fnCallback, bStandingRedraw )
{
if ( typeof sNewSource != 'undefined' && sNewSource != null )
{
oSettings.sAjaxSource = sNewSource;
}
this.oApi._fnProcessingDisplay( oSettings, true );
var that = this;
var iStart = oSettings._iDisplayStart;

oSettings.fnServerData( oSettings.sAjaxSource, [], function(json) {
/* Clear the old information from the table */
that.oApi._fnClearTable( oSettings );

/* Got the data - add it to the table */
var aData = (oSettings.sAjaxDataProp !== "") ?
that.oApi._fnGetObjectDataFn( oSettings.sAjaxDataProp )( json ) : json;

for ( var i=0 ; i

Replies

• Taylor514ceTaylor514ce Posts: 74Questions: 8Answers: 0
    oTable needs to be defined as a global variable. You've scoped it locally. Make this change:

[code]

var oTable;

$(document).ready(function() {
    oTable = $('#example').dataTable( {
    "bProcessing": true,
    "bDeferRender": true,
    "sAjaxSource": "sources/arrays.txt"
    } );
    } );

[/code]
  • allanallan Posts: 61,611Questions: 1Answers: 10,089 Site admin
    edited January 2012
    Taylor514ce is bob on with this.

The is an alternative that is worth knowing about though:

[code]
    $('#example').dataTable().fnReloadAjax();
    [/code]

The first call to dataTable() will initialise it, the second will return the original reference.

Allan
  • IanDMacIanDMac Posts: 6Questions: 0Answers: 0
    OMG - The wood for the trees! How I missed this I just don't know.

Many thanks, Ian.
    I have now connected up the:

[code]
    oTable.fnReloadAjax( 'sources/' + chosen + '.txt' )
    [/code]

where 'chosen' is the selected option in my drop down select and am now experiencing differing results across the usual culprit of MSIE compared to 3 other browsers.

I have 2 choices in my select options which calls arrays.txt which has the default 57 entries and then arrays2.txt that I have copied and pasted the original entries to create 1,824 entries.

Under:

Safari - works a charm and I can switch back and forth between the two sets of data and quite speedily.
    Firefox - again, works like a charm.
    Chrome - again, works like a charm.

Although, it appears that with repeated switches back and forth the delay in loading the arrays2 set of data get longer and longer, as if the data has not been flushed / cleared fully.

MSIE (v8 in this case) - will switch upon the 1st selection being made to says 'arrays2' and show the full 1,824 entries after a couple of seconds (when ran locally) and about 5 or 6 seconds when ran on the live site (which is at: http://www.i-cc.co.uk/dataTables/examples/ajax/ajax.html ), but on switching back to 'arrays' as the choice (which has 57 entries) it will hang for about a minute or 2 and then will show the 57 entries, but a couple more switches back and forth and it crashes with an out of memory warning as if the oTable is not being cleared from memory in MSIE.

From all of my code above, this is the only different piece which is the call, taking into account that I have now changed it to the global variable as opposed to the local (doh!).

[code]

function GetSelectedItem() {

len = document.f1.s1.length;
    i = 0;
    chosen = "none";

for (i = 0; i < len; i++) {
    if (document.f1.s1[i].selected) {
    chosen = document.f1.s1[i].value;
    }
    }
    alert(chosen);
    oTable.fnReloadAjax( 'sources/' + chosen + '.txt' );
    }

[/code]

which is called from:

[code]

Please select
    Arrays
    Arrays2

[/code]

It may not be pretty or refined, but the idea is to test and see how it works etc.

Anyone else come across an issue like this with IE drowning from clearing just under 2,000 entries to load just a fresh 57.

MSIE is always a pain LOL.

Ian
    I would very much suggest turning on the bDeferRender option - it will make things a lot faster and save memory. It will also hopefully allow IE's garbage collector to keep up... (assuming that is the problem!?).

Allan
    Hi Allan,

Already have that in the document ready function for the initial call or does this need adding to the plug-in do you mean?

Thanks, Ian
    Like shown in this example: http://datatables.net/release-datatables/examples/ajax/defer_render.html - its an initialisation option.

Allan
    Yup, that was already enabled.
    Okay, think I have found the issue.

Because I was using the demonstration examples, I had all of the example code and XHR output being used for the Server Response views.

Removed that and it works very well now.
    Ah! So the processing time was in the display of the JSON response. I'll remember that for future... Thanks!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.