How many rows are acceptable?

How many rows are acceptable?

suntropsuntrop Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited October 2009 in General
I have a user table with about 5,000 rows (each 8 fields). Does DataTables can handle such high numbers? It could grow over time more and more and I am afraid I run into performance problems now or later. So, how many rows are acceptable?

Replies

• suntropsuntrop Posts: 4Questions: 0Answers: 0
    At about 400 rows it starts to get slower. But search still works pretty quick by 3000 rows.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,864Questions: 1Answers: 10,136 Site admin
    Hi suntrop,

There is no hard limit on the number of rows that DataTables can cope with, but rather it comes down to how hard it crunches the processor that is doing the data processing :-).

If you are using client-side processing, then I'd say at around 5'000 rows you would start to hit significant problems, but as you noted you can see slow downs as slow as 400 rows - this is mainly due to the DOM modifications that made when dealing with sorting. To get a significant increase in client-side processing you can disable the sorting classes on the columns ( http://datatables.net/usage/features#bSortClasses ) - sorting will still be enabled, but the column won't be highlighted like in my demos.

If however you are using server-side processing, then it's really down to how optimised your database and it's engine are. I've heard of people using DataTables with 10 million + records when using server-side processing!

Hope this helps,
    Allan
This discussion has been closed.