Wonky icons for bootstrap 4 depending on header wrapping and page size (Edge and IE)

Wonky icons for bootstrap 4 depending on header wrapping and page size (Edge and IE)

CharleyCharley Posts: 66Questions: 17Answers: 0
edited September 2018 in Free community support

https://jsfiddle.net/charleycartee/68xqrcau/show

You might have to resize the browser a bit to see it, but the icons don't stick to the bottom like expected

Answers

• colincolin Posts: 15,112Questions: 1Answers: 2,583

Hi @Charley ,

Are you able to reproduce with that fiddle you sent? I've been trying, resizing up and down, and it's always working fine for me (Fedora/Chrome), even when the column widths are the same as yours. which browser are you using?

Cheers,

Colin

• CharleyCharley Posts: 66Questions: 17Answers: 0

it's IE/edge specific; it's in the title but I was too late to edit it into the body of the issue

it's especially frustrating because chrome has great debugging /dev tools for before/after pseudo elements, while edge and IE do not

• allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin

What's even more frustrating is that when you change the CSS in Edge's debugging tools (say to 10px bottom position for those elements - its 0.9em by default) they snap back into position. But then resize the browser and the jump out of position again.

I haven't been able to find some magic CSS combination to make it work in Edge. It appears it is simply calculating the bottom position incorrectly...!

The best workaround I could see was to position the icons relative to the top of the cell instead. Add this to your CSS:

table.dataTable thead .sorting:before, table.dataTable thead .sorting:after, table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:before, table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:after, table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:before, table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:after, table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:before, table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:after, table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc_disabled:before, table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc_disabled:after {
      bottom: auto;
      top: 12px;
    }

Allan

the heights of the before/after elements in edge are the same as the text, I think.

Possibly the issue is that the TOP being miscalculated?

interestingly, setting a % height to those after/before elements seems to at least line them up, although not in the right position

table.dataTable thead .sorting:before,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting:after,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:before,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:after,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:before,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:after,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:before,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:after,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc_disabled:before,
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc_disabled:after {
    height:10%;
    }

• allanallan Posts: 61,438Questions: 1Answers: 10,052 Site admin

It does seem related to the text layout - but I can't really nail it down, it just doesn't seem to make much sense without knowing the internals of Edge.

Allan

edited September 2018

As an FYI: this seems to work. It sets the height to a percentage (which seems to line everything up in ie/edge), and then puts a margin on the bottom that is as big as the height of the arrow element (0.75 rem) + the height of the bottom margin of the TH tag (0.75 rem).

It seems a bit hacky, but works in both edge and chrome (will test firefox, IE and opera later).

https://jsfiddle.net/charleycartee/68xqrcau/6/show
    vs
    https://jsfiddle.net/charleycartee/68xqrcau/7/show

table.dataTable thead .sorting:before, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting:after, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:before, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc:after, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:before, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc:after, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:before, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_asc_disabled:after, 
    table.dataTable thead .sorting_desc_disabled:before,