ColVis Quirkiness

ColVis Quirkiness

TacoRobTacoRob Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited November 2010 in Plug-ins
I'm encountering a bizarre display quirk with ColVis that has me puzzled. Essentially, I have modified the datatable examples to test against a local MySQL datasource using ColVis.

The table I am working with contains 40 columns. When I click the "Show/Hide Columns" button the first time the page loads, it displays an empty rectangle that does not contain any column list I can toggle on/off. However, if I click the "Show/Hide Columns" button a second time (without reloading the page or anything), it correctly displays the columns and allows me to turn visibility on/off as anticipated.

Any idea what may be causing this? It seems odd that it would work after the button has been pressed once; but why would it display an empty column list when clearly the datatable has columns/data loaded and already presented?

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,663Questions: 1Answers: 10,095 Site admin
    Sound very odd. I'm afraid I've not got an immediate explanation. Can you give us a link to an example where this happens?

Thanks,
    Allan
  • TacoRobTacoRob Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
    edited November 2010
    Hi Allan,

Sure - I'll share the files via my DropBox account. Can you send me your email addy so I can share that folder with you?
  • TacoRobTacoRob Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I've figured it out!! =) I was digging through the ColVis.js and found the culprit. In the "_fnCollectionShow" function, there is a segment of code which is:

[code]

/* Visual corrections to try and keep the collection visible */
    var iDivWidth = $(nHidden).outerWidth();
    var iDivHeight = $(nHidden).outerHeight();

if ( iDivX + iDivWidth > iDocWidth )
    {
    nHidden.style.left = (iDocWidth-iDivWidth)+"px";
    }

if ( iDivY + iDivHeight > iDocHeight )
    {
    nHidden.style.top = (iDivY-iDivHeight-$(this.dom.button).outerHeight())+"px";
    }
    [/code]

This calculation appears to be the culprit, because if I comment it out it displays as expected every time:

[code]

/* Visual corrections to try and keep the collection visible */
    /* 2010.11.20 => Removed by Rob Brennan to prevent against "empty" rectangle
    var iDivWidth = $(nHidden).outerWidth();
    var iDivHeight = $(nHidden).outerHeight();

if ( iDivX + iDivWidth > iDocWidth )
    {
    nHidden.style.left = (iDocWidth-iDivWidth)+"px";
    }

if ( iDivY + iDivHeight > iDocHeight )
    {
    nHidden.style.top = (iDivY-iDivHeight-$(this.dom.button).outerHeight())+"px";
    }
    */
    [/code]
  • allanallan Posts: 61,663Questions: 1Answers: 10,095 Site admin
    edited November 2010
    Interesting - I wonder what iDivWidth and iDivHeight are when this happens... possibly NaN? Sure you hding the table when it is initialised?

Also - you can ping me using http://datatables.net/contact :-)

Allan
This discussion has been closed.