How to access editor data without using a field? Or is a hidden field my best option?

How to access editor data without using a field? Or is a hidden field my best option?

washuit-iammwashuit-iamm Posts: 84Questions: 32Answers: 1

I am slowly trying to move my codebase to be a more standalone editor driven so I can have editors open inside of other editors (nested editors). All of my customers keep asking if they could add items to dropdowns on the fly without being taken to another CRUD UI in another tab (if you have any alternative solutions for that I am all ears).

Currently, I have to have an instance of my DataTable table because not everything is a field. Some stuff is just data for display in the table and used as a reference for the editor. Think DeletedOnDate, that would not be editable but on editor open event might be used to change all sorts of things based on if a record is soft deleted or not.

I realize I could probably just use a hidden field for this data, but i didn't know if there was a "bucket" option I could use for my editor to have a deep well of data to use that are not fields. But for this to be really modular, I can't have my editor dialog rely on the table data in case I want to re-use all of my editor event logic inside of another editor.

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin
    Answer ✓

A bucket option is not something that Editor currently has available, but I can see how it would be useful in your use case. At the moment the closest would be to have a hidden field with a JSON string encoded value / or individual hidden fields for each property.

More generally the ability to do nested editing is something we are aware of as being a really useful feature and plan to add that to Editor. No time line for it yet, other than "later this year" though.

Allan

• washuit-iammwashuit-iamm Posts: 84Questions: 32Answers: 1

I eagerly await that feature! Will it be available for license holders or do you predict charging for it as an add-on?

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Honestly - I don't know yet. We are discussing that point. Sorry I can't give a straight forward answer on it.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.