Introducing CloudTables

Introducing CloudTables

allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin

It is with real pleasure that I introduce our latest software: CloudTables.

CloudTables builds upon DataTables, Editor and the rest of our software, presenting a quick and easy way for you to develop database applications through a web UI. You then embed the resulting table and editor directly into your own application giving a seamless interface to your own users.

As well as the ability to define your own databases CloudTables also has:

• Live updates of data as others are editing
  • Full auditing - see what has changed and who made the change
  • Hosted - no need for potentially complex infrastructure
  • Easy data validation

CloudTables is in beta, so there are still features that we plan to add before a full release, but we are very keen to get feedback. If you'd like to give CloudTables a go, please do so! We also have video tutorials to help get started.

There is more detail of CloudTables available in this blog post including how we see it interacting with DataTables and Editor development moving forward.

Support for CloudTables is going to be primarily e-mail based rather than in these forums, but we do welcome feedback here if you'd like to post any here, or use the CloudTables contact option.

Regards,
Allan

Replies

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406

I took a look at the current video tutorials. Very promising solution! I hope you guys get ready with this soon! This could save a lot of front end coding effort. I would also need to understand how I can integrate more complex back end processing getting triggered by things like setFormatters, server side events etc. or proprietary ajax calls.

I am particularly interested in a self hosted version because I need to host this in a particular EU-country due to legal requirements of my clients.
    Roland

• allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin

Hi Roland,

Quick feature update first - we'll be rolling out computed values soon, and then importing data, hopefully later this month. We'll be moving out of beta at that point. It isn't likely we'll have a self hosted version this month, but it is near the top of our list of things to work on.

Currently there are no options to add extra programming into the backend. This is intentional in CloudTables - there will be no way to add extra set formatters and the like. However, we do plan to had support for webhooks, so you can get notifications about actions such as update, insert and delete (and then take further action yourself via the API if needed).

Regards,
    Allan

• rf1234rf1234 Posts: 2,801Questions: 85Answers: 406
    edited August 2020

Thanks Allan!

However, we do plan to had support for webhooks, so you can get notifications about actions such as update, insert and delete (and then take further action yourself via the API if needed).

That would be very helpful in deed!
    Roland

• zarzazarza Posts: 7Questions: 3Answers: 0

So datatables.net is going to die?

• allanallan Posts: 61,431Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
    edited April 2021

Absolutely not! CloudTables is built on top of DataTables (also Editor and the other extensions). So fundamentally, as CloudTables improves, so will DataTables - and indeed already a lot of the work for CloudTables is being reflected in the development of DataTables - particularly its v2 branch.

I have addressed this specific point in the blog post, but let me be absolutely clear - DataTables is still being developed, is still open source, is still supported and we believe has a long and bright future :).

Allan

This discussion has been closed.