draw event fires too many times with cascadePanes:true option on SearchPanes

RaidekRaidek Posts: 69Questions: 7Answers: 0

Link to test case:
With searchPanes.cascadePanes enabled:
http://live.datatables.net/pedakowe/71/edit

Without searchPanes.cascadePanes enabled:
http://live.datatables.net/rozoxina/1/edit

Description of problem:
draw fires 10 times with searchPanes.cascadePanes enabled when selecting a filter:

and deselected it fires 6 times:

But with searchPanes.cascadePanes disabled it fires only once on select and once on deselect.:
Selected:

Deselected:

This is a problem, because with 57 table rows and only one graph as in the examples that I have given, nothing happens.

But if they are larger tables and more than 2 graphs, it will take a long time to display the graphs, since with cascadePanes:true it will redraw the graphs 10 times...

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• RaidekRaidek Posts: 69Questions: 7Answers: 0

Can someone help me. Sorry for posting with this message, but I usually wait 10 days to post if I don't get a reply.

• allanallan Posts: 61,446Questions: 1Answers: 10,054 Site admin

Hi,

You are correct - when using cascade in SearchPanes, it will do a bunch of redraws since it needs to calculate each level of the panes, and it does that by filtering the table (which in turn is triggering a draw).

We don't yet have a better mechanism for this - it is something that would be useful though, as it can cause issues such as that which you are seeing.

For the moment I would suggest using a debounce in your event handler to buffer the draws into a single call to your charting draw.

Allan

Hi and thanks @allan .
    Ok, that's what I thought. As a suggestion (from the total ignorance of Datatable programming) a new event would be fine, but only to be called with the redraw of the table.

On the other hand, is there a way to calculate how many times draw will be called based on what filters you have enabled? And how many draw calls are added by the different SearchPanes options.

Answer ✓

No, I'm afraid not. Well, not without going through the SearchPanes algorithm anyway. I reckon a 100mS debounce would be best.

Allan

Thanks for the quick response @allan .

I'll try it and depending on what I get, I'll post the code in this thread for the rest of the community.

Is there any news regarding this?

• latinunitlatinunit Posts: 73Questions: 12Answers: 0

WEE totally want better performance for cascades and viewTotal

Yup - me too :). I think I'm going to have to rework the SearchPanes algorithm. I can't say when that will happen, but I think a SearchPanes 3 is going to be called for.

Allan