DataTables 1.9.4 released

DataTables 1.9.4 released

allanallan Posts: 61,433Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
edited November 2012 in Announcements
Hello all,

I'm really pleased to announce the release of DataTables 1.9.4. Alongside a number of bug fixes in this release, there are a number of performance improvements from Tim Tucker and jlabanca which makes reading data from the DOM and drawing when scrolling is enabled much faster.

One important note from this release is that fnRender is now fully deprecated and will be removed in DataTables 1.10. mRender is now the method to use to preprocess data for display.

With this release, development of DataTables will now shift focus to the v1.10 major release. I'm really looking forward to seeing the items that are planned for this release fully implemented, as this could be one of the biggest releases since v1. For more information about the v1.10 plans, see the DataTables roadmap: http://datatables.net/development/roadmap .

This latest release can be downloaded from the downloads page or directly with this link:
http://datatables.net/releases/DataTables-1.9.4.zip .

*edit* DataTables 1.9.4 is now available on the Microsoft CDN:
http://www.asp.net/ajaxLibrary/CDNjQueryDataTables194.ashx .

If you find any issues with this release, please *open a new thread* with a detailed description of the problem, so we can keep track of individual issues.

It takes a lot of time and effort to develop and support DataTables, so if you find it useful, please consider helping further support and development by making a donation towards the project: http://datatables.net/donate .

Enjoy!
Allan

Replies

• kpowickkpowick Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Great work, Allan.

As a new DataTables and Editor user, I can say that, along with the outstanding support, these have been some of the best libraries that I have used in a long time. I'm extremely happy with my investment as they've opened up a whole new world of opportunities that I've been putting off far too long.

Cheers,

Kevin P.
  • allanallan Posts: 61,433Questions: 1Answers: 10,048 Site admin
    Hi Kevin,

Fantastic to hear - thank you :-)

Regards,
    Allan
  • lonnienlonnien Posts: 28Questions: 0Answers: 0
    I did a diff on the file and you have been a busy boy. After a 15 minute beat on it test it is working as expected, which I have to say it was working before. So the good news for me is that nothing was broken (that I make use of) and with the changes there will likely be some other happy campers with your fixing.
    DataTables has a set of (currently) around 2900 unit tests which are run in all primary browsers before release. Any failures will halt the release until it is addressed. These unit tests help to ensure that DataTables remains solid between releases. I know the pain of trying to upgrade software myself and then finding out a bunch of stuff doesn't work!

Allan
  • kpowickkpowick Posts: 3Questions: 0Answers: 0
    OMG. Someone that actually does unit testing. I love it! No wonder the quality is so high.

Kevin
    Heh! It doesn't result in perfect code, but is sure does help in heading in that direction :-). the unit tests have caught many a bug over the years since they were introduced in 1.5. Couldn't recommend TDD more!

Allan
  • max4evermax4ever Posts: 45Questions: 0Answers: 0
    My pages that worked fine in 1.9.2 don't work anymore with 1.9.3 or 1.9.4
    It seems that sDefaultContent isn't processed anymore

[code]
    "aoColumns": [
    {sName" : "ivaperc", "sWidth" : "40px", "sClass" : "right"},

{ "sName": "id",
    "sWidth": "60px",
    "sClass": "operazioni center",
    "bSortable": false,
    "bSearchable" : false ,
    "mDataProp": null,
    "sDefaultContent": " "} ],
    [/code]
    edited October 2012
    @max4ever - As noted in my post, can you post your issue in a new thread so we can keep track of individual issues rather than making this thread very confusing.

Please also link us to a page that shows the problem.

Allan
  • neilsneils Posts: 8Questions: 0Answers: 0
    Excellent job, man. Thank you!
  • moemoe Posts: 1Questions: 0Answers: 0
    So much thanks for this module...great work, ill donate today =)
  • max4evermax4ever Posts: 45Questions: 0Answers: 0
    i found out the problem, it was mDataProp not working in 1.9.4 even though documentation says [quote]"Note that prior to DataTables 1.9.2 mData was called mDataProp. The name change reflects the flexibility of this property and is consistent with the naming of mRender. If 'mDataProp' is given, then it will still be used by DataTables, as it automatically maps the old name to the new if required."[/quote]
    i changed mDataProp everywhere with mData and it now works
    There is unfortunately a bug in 1.9.4 if you set mDataProp to `null` - that is not propagated to the newer mData . Other values should work okay, but `null` is broken at the moment. Fixed in git.

Allan
  • NJDave71NJDave71 Posts: 40Questions: 3Answers: 0
    I am using the latest version of dataTables. This was taken from v1.8.2

[code]
    "aoColumnDefs": [
    { "aTargets": [0] },
    { "aTargets": [1] },
    { "aTargets": [2] },
    { "aTargets": [3] },
    { "bSortable": false, "sWidth": "75px", "sName": "Details", "aTargets": [-1], "fnRender": function (oObj) {
    return 'Edit Record'
    }
    }
    ]
    [/code]

The 5th Column was getting generated by the fnRender. Now I am getting an Error unknown Parameter. What is the new way of coding this?

Thanks
  • FredFlintstoneFredFlintstone Posts: 24Questions: 0Answers: 0
    maybe read the first post above?
This discussion has been closed.