ColVis does not render the menu in Midori

ColVis does not render the menu in Midori

キツネキツネ Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
edited October 2013 in Bug reports
The ColVis extra doesn't work in the Midori browser. I am testing with Midori 0.5.5 on Arch Linux 64-bit.

http://datatables.net/extras/colvis/

The official demo of the tool doesn't work. It appears the event fires as the CSS effects take effect (colours change after clicking the show/hide columns button) but the menu of columns does not appear.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,665Questions: 1Answers: 10,096 Site admin
    Please link to a test page which doesn't work (I.e. Shows the problem). The page you linked to appears to work okay for me.

Allan
  • キツネキツネ Posts: 7Questions: 0Answers: 0
    It worked okay? Are we sure we're talking about the same browser? Here's a copy of the about: page from Midori:

Version numbers in brackets show the version used at runtime.

Command line midori
    Midori midori-0.5.5 ((null))
    GTK+ 2.24.20 (2.24.22) Glib 2.36.3 (2.38.0)
    WebKitGTK+ 1.10.2 (1.10.2) libSoup 2.42.2
    cairo 1.12.14 (1.12.16) libnotify 0.7.5
    gcr No granite No
    single instance libunique 1.1.6
    Platform X11; Linux x86_64
    Identification Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) AppleWebKit/537.6+ Midori/0.5
    Video Formats H264 [x] Ogg Theora [x] WebM [x]

The page I linked to still shows the problem as it did before. Nothing appears when clicking the button to show the list of columns. This is a new install of Midori so it's not like there is some outdated info in the browser cache or something of that nature.

I know other WebKit browsers work fine with ColVis (e.g. Chromium) so I was surprised it didn't work in Midori as the engine is the same!

Should I install the GTK3 version of Midori and re-test, do you think? The GTK3-compatible WebKit package is separate so there could be other differences in the engine...?

I've seen the JavaScript code for ColVis. It looks like it's doing exactly what it should be, and I know for sure WebKit engine should be ok with that code. (It works in Chromium so that's proof.) Unless there's a quirky bug in jQuery itself, it has to be Midori-specific somehow. Even though I feel confident this issue is not the responsibility of ColVis, documenting it here will be helpful for any other Midori-testers looking for information about this.
    All right, it does work in the GTK3 version of Midori! Therefore, the GTK2 version of WebKit is outdated or has a bug that was exposed by ColVis. :)

I noticed a CSS issue though: the previous/next buttons have the words "previous" and "next" coinciding (probably due to absolute positioning or floating properties?)

To best illustrate this I am including a snapshot of the browser:

http://imageshack.us/a/img822/6817/qqew.png

Please excuse the unpleasant GTK+-3 theme of my browser, I haven't updated my environment's look & feel for GTK-3 yet!
    > I noticed a CSS issue though: the previous/next buttons have the words "previous" and "next" coinciding (probably due to absolute positioning or floating properties?)

Looks like you are using CSS for DataTables 1.8 with DataTables 1.9 Javascript.

In the browsers I've tried (not Midori specifically, but the main stream ones) ColVis appears to work okay for me. What error are you actually getting? How old is the webkit build in the GTK2 version of Midori?

Allan
    I'm using? I'm viewing your website, it's not my code. Whatever CSS and JavaScript you put on your own site is the code in use.

I didn't check the console/debugger when I still had the GTK2 version installed so I don't know if it was reporting JS errors or not. The package for Midori is a binary package since this is Arch Linux. You can find details about it by checking its package.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/midori/
    Midori 0.5.5-1
    Build Date: 2013-08-15 11:34 UTC

For me to obtain any possible output from the JS consoel I have to remove Midori and put the GTK2 version back in. If you really need that output (if there is any) I can obtain it for you.
    > I'm using? I'm viewing your website

Doh - sorry. It looks like my page is out of date... Bit crap that. I'll get it updated soon!

Allan
This discussion has been closed.