Row Grouping with Multiple Columns Headers

Row Grouping with Multiple Columns Headers

dennisbarteldennisbartel Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0

I have researched and used this https://datatables.net/examples/advanced_init/row_grouping.html to generate a 'header' for the same records / grouping. However I am trying to achieve a case were records that have the exact data have a header row of that data (9 columns). Bellow it is the information for each record that is varied in columns. Data is received via ajax call.

Below is essentially what I need to achieve...

1  2  3 4  5 6 7  8 9
---------------------
A B C D E F G H I 
x x x x x x x x
x x x x x x x x
 x x x x x x x x 
A B C D E F G H I 
x x x x x x x x 
x x x x x x x x 
A B C D E F G H I 
x x x x x x x x 

Any thoughts, ideas, methods on how could I achieve this?
Help is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

Hi,

Thanks for the description (and separate e-mail) - however I'm afraid I'm not actually quite clear on what you are looking for here. Is the example ascii table above correctly aligned?

Are you basically looking for the row grouping example but with 9 cells in the grouping row rather than a single one? What should go in those cells?

Allan

• dennisbarteldennisbartel Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0

Hi Allan,

Apologize for not being entirely clear.

Yes looking for more than one grouping indicator (cell) above the grouped row(s). Each row has 16 columns of data displayed that is called via ajax url.

For grouping the first 9 columns (data) are the same and remaining 7 will differ. Those first nine are what I would like to be as the Indicator Row for each group. In the below example ascii table i tried to align showing the 9 columns better. Letters in indicator row will differ depending on the data. They Represent the indicator columns needed. Perhaps it is comparable to having a row with a variety of child rows all visible.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    ---------------------
    A B C D E F G H I
        x x x x x x x 
    A B C D E F G H I
        x x x x x x x 
    A B C D E F G H I
        x x x x x x x 
        x x x x x x x 

The structure is being emulated from Microsoft Access Grouping of data. If necessary I can send a link to our site or more information, privately as it is confidential.

Thank you Allan, appreciate your help and support along with members of the forum.

• allanallan Posts: 61,650Questions: 1Answers: 10,094 Site admin

If you have a screenshot of the MS Access Grouping that might be useful - I've not used Access for about 15 years!

However, based on the ascii table - it looks like you would basically need more complex logic that the simple example. Specifically you'd need to track multiple values rather than just the one value - that would probably be best done in an array.

Allan

• dennisbarteldennisbartel Posts: 5Questions: 0Answers: 0

Thanks Allan, I sent you an email with a screenshot of the MS Access Grouping with more detail.
    Thank you Allan

This discussion has been closed.