Upgrade to 1.10 and migrate to Bootstrap

Upgrade to 1.10 and migrate to Bootstrap

GregPGregP Posts: 487Questions: 8Answers: 0

So my current implementation uses DataTables 1.9.4 and a custom jQuery UI theme.

I read this article: http://www.datatables.net/upgrade/1.10 which says that my functions should still work due to the maintained backwards-compatibility, which is great news! Is there a compelling reason to switch over to the new notation on a short timeline, or can I let it languish for a while?

I'm also considering switching to Bootstrap. Currently I do SOME manual jQuery UI CSS classing via callback functions (returning a row containing some jQuery UI widgets, etc), but other than that, how cumbersome should the change be?

I'm asking in advance rather than "just trying it" because my employers would rather my time not be spent on a weeks-long project, but I suspect that upgrading to 1.10 and switching to Bootstrap should take maybe 3 days tops. Anybody have a supporting or contradicting perspective on that timeline?

Thanks!

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• GregPGregP Posts: 487Questions: 8Answers: 0
    edited December 2014

Oh and while we're at it, is there a compendium showing a mapping between old methods and properties and the new ones?

[edit, sorry! found it! http://datatables.net/upgrade/1.10-convert ]

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Is there a compelling reason to switch over to the new notation on a short timeline, or can I let it languish for a while?

Its really down to personal preference if you prefer Hungarian notation or camelCase. v2 will drop the Hungarian support, but there is likely to been a good amount of time between now and v2 (years I suspect). The other big reason would be cause the documentation now uses only camelCase, but with the conversion chart you found, it is fairly easy to bounce between them.

Personally I would say new work should use the new notation, while just leave existing code that you don't need to modify as it is.

I'm also considering switching to Bootstrap [...] how cumbersome should the change be?

For the table, it should just be a case of including the Bootstrap integration files, disabling the jQuery UI option in DataTables, remove the jQuery UI integration files and probably update the table class names to the Bootstrap style.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.