Select lists

Select lists

crush123crush123 Posts: 417Questions: 126Answers: 18

I have a couple of questions re select lists using editor

1. Order of labels from a recordset

As an example, i have this syntax in my ajax page

$data['refitemtype'] = $db
    ->selectDistinct( 'refitemtype', 'ItemTypeID as value, ItemTypeDescription as label' )
    ->fetchAll();
}

Is there a way I can set the ORDER of the select labels without resorting to a view ?

1. Is it possible to add a static option to the top of the list, without a value, saying something like 'please choose an option from the list' rather than having the first row displayed ?

Thnaks

This question has an accepted answers - jump to answer

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,743Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

1) Is there a way I can set the ORDER of the select labels without resorting to a view ?

Certainly - the selectDistinct method has an optional order option as the fourth parameter.

Is it possible to add a static option to the top of the list, without a value, saying something like 'please choose an option from the list' rather than having the first row displayed ?

You could modify the $data['refitemtype'] array once it has been retrieved and unshift the "Please select..." text to it. You would also need to make sure your field validator will reject the default value!

Allan

• crush123crush123 Posts: 417Questions: 126Answers: 18

re 1) How do I skip the 3rd parameter ?

I tried double comma, quotes etc but get a syntax error.

eg if I want to order by sizedescription

->selectDistinct( 'refsize', 'SizeID as value, SizeDescription as label','','SizeDescription' )

Just put in null :-)

->selectDistinct( 'refsize', 'SizeID as value, SizeDescription as label',null,'SizeDescription ASC' )

Allan

edited January 2015

well maybe its me, but that gives me a json error

for example, if I try

->selectDistinct( 'refsize', 'SizeID as value, SizeDescription as label',null,'SizeDescription')

i get

Notice: Undefined variable: identifier in ~\DataTables-1.10.4\extensions\Editor-1.3.3\php\Database\Query.php on line 403 Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message 'SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column '' in 'order clause'' in ~\DataTables-1.10.4\extensions\Editor-1.3.3\php\Database\Driver\Mysql\Query.php:112...

Odd. Could you try:

->selectDistinct( 'refsize', 'SizeID as value, SizeDescription as label',null,'label')

please?

Allan

edited January 2015

Sorry, that gives me the same error

edited January 2015 Answer ✓

Ah - sorry, you are missing the direction specified for the order clause that I had in my post above. I know it isn't always required in SQL, but the Editor libraries do need it:

->selectDistinct(
      'refsize',
      'SizeID as value, SizeDescription as label',
      null,
      'label ASC'
    )

Allan

edit - reformatted the code to make it clearer).

cool, that's it.

(Also works with the original field name, as well as the label alias)

This discussion has been closed.