How to handle large SharePoint list (20000) by implementing server side pagination, sorting?

How to handle large SharePoint list (20000) by implementing server side pagination, sorting?

rahulbabbarrahulbabbar Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Hi,

Jquery datatables work well for SharePoint lists which are say 200-500 records. But for records which are in thousands (say 20,000), fetching all the data at a go would not be the ideal approach. Therefore looking for server side pagination, sorting ordering and search examples and approaches that have been implemented on SharePoint lists? Currently, i am using SharePoint 2013 which provides extensive Rest API support. Can this be done? If yes, please let me know the approach?

Regards,
Rahul

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• jrizzi1jrizzi1 Posts: 44Questions: 12Answers: 3
    edited May 2015 Answer ✓

can sharepoint output a formatted JSON response after a restful call from ajax?

by formatted I mean creating your own variables required by datatables:

Draw - int variable counter

recordsTotal int

recordsFiltered int

data - array of data source objects

see manual here at the returned data section
    https://www.datatables.net/manual/server-side

• rahulbabbarrahulbabbar Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Thanks for your reply. I am able to generate a formatted response from SharePoint now. I am even able to show the records in the Browser. But every time i click on sorting, paging, it reiterates the entire sharepoint list/table on the server side which is time consuming. Is it possible to modify the query written on the server side to iterate only the top 10/20 records (retaining the paging and sorting functionality) and quickly send the data back to the browser. If there is an example please share.

• jrizzi1jrizzi1 Posts: 44Questions: 12Answers: 3
    Answer ✓

the next step would be to use the start and length sent parameters as query criteria to your sharepoint list

like for instance a database table with 1million rows a select * from table would take a while

but a select* from table where rownumber between 1 and 10 would run quickly

you have to use your start and length to determine that range and apply it to your list like a query criteria, does that make sense?

• rahulbabbarrahulbabbar Posts: 5Questions: 2Answers: 0

Got it. have implemented that part. Thanks a ton.
    Can i also post custom parameters as query string to server side? If yes, can you share an instance.

Regards,
    Rahul

This discussion has been closed.