Why there is a difference between dataTable() and DataTable()?

Why there is a difference between dataTable() and DataTable()?

LuizHoutLuizHout Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

This has confused me, it was no clear that with DataTable() i had acces to functions and variables and w/ dataTable() i had not access to several functions.

There are some issue on my side and both should work w/ no difference? If not, Why make a such delicate difference? Add a parameter, so it make that difference, is much more "visible".

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• tangerinetangerine Posts: 3,350Questions: 37Answers: 394
    Answer ✓

http://datatables.net/faqs/index

See the second of the "Most Common FAQ's".

• LuizHoutLuizHout Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0
    edited May 2015

Thanks. The behavior was described on faq.
    However, it seems odd to create a diference of return type from UpperCase and lowerCase calls.

• allanallan Posts: 61,765Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

I should write a blog post about it sometime. Basically $().dataTable() was the old style (v1.0+) and does the standard jQuery thing of returning a jQuery object for chaining.

$().DataTable() returns a DataTables API instance - U used a capital D as you are creating a new API instance and a capital for an instance constructor is common programming styling across the majority of languages (albeit not a requirement).

I figured that was better than using $().dataTableApi() or similar. I might have been wrong :-)

Allan

• LuizHoutLuizHout Posts: 3Questions: 1Answers: 0

Thanks for the answer man. Legacy purpose. That explains completely. :)

By the way. Your plugin is awesome and solve perfectly all my needs.

I suggest only. Update the examples in your site to use the DataTable(). I saw that several alredy use the uppercase function. But that was when a got stuck. (and of course. missing the faq).

Anyway, thanks for the awesome plugin and for the promptly response.

This discussion has been closed.