Background update/save implementation possible?

Background update/save implementation possible?

constructxconstructx Posts: 10Questions: 3Answers: 1

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to implement editing of cells in such a way that the server call to save isn't performed immediately but is performed in the background while on the foreground as soon as the user leaves the cell after editing the form is closed giving the impression of saved immediate. I'm talking from the perspective of an inline edit, exactly similar to a google sheet implementation. I hope that explanation makes sense.

This question has accepted answers - jump to:

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin
    Answer ✓

Currently no - sorry. Queueing of requests is something I would like to add in future, but there is no option for it at the moment (unless you want to create your own queueing mechanism by specifying ajax as a function, in which case it is quite possible).

The primary reason why this hasn't been implemented yet is that Editor allows for fields where the value is defined by the server-side - for example an updated time or a calculated field. That won't work with a queued submit, so Editor's current approach is to always submit.

Regards,
    Allan

• constructxconstructx Posts: 10Questions: 3Answers: 1

Thank you for replying.

So if I were to use the ajax option to simulate a server response, similar to what is expected in case of a server update, editing other fields should work properly and I can make the updates in the background right?

Answer ✓

That is correct - I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. It will certainly add a bit of complication though :-)

Allan

It did actually. But it was fun, and it worked :)

Hi @allan related to this, is it possible to prevent the processing event from firing at all?
    Like, what I want to do is, I want to prevent the progressbar from appearing.

Disable processing if you have it enabled.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.