Is that possible render the upload field before send?

Is that possible render the upload field before send?

tomekkietomekkie Posts: 30Questions: 6Answers: 1

Would that be possible to render the upload field with the selected file name, or selected image pixelsize or blob thumb generated on client-side , just after file selection is done, instead of data downloaded from server?

Answers

• allanallan Posts: 61,744Questions: 1Answers: 10,111 Site admin

Its certainly possible, but the upload field type wasn't designed for that use case. The concept of immediately uploading the selected file is fairly baked into that control (i.e. the file is uploaded before the rest of the form is submitted).

A custom field type plug-in would be required to do what you are looking for.

Allan

• tomekkietomekkie Posts: 30Questions: 6Answers: 1
    edited December 2015

Possibly a better option could be to separate the upload form from the table. Then instead of upload fields, I could just have buttons to activate an outside upload form, like some taken from blueimp, with given parameters.

I have found the upload fields do not seem to be designed for the upload of large files.

I saw that post - thanks for flagging it up. I'm going to investigate shortly and get back to you.

Allan

edited December 2015

Thanks in advance.

My biggest pain is the failure with large uploads.

I can't present my tables to the prospective clients if there are no prospects to fix it.

Thanks.
    It got better after your update.

I am just wondering if I could split my file upload column into two.
    One showing the uploaded file and the other with upload/reupload onClick action.
    The field could be initially rendered as form with hidden field. Then in the onClick action a new file field, and submit and cancel buttons could be dynamically added. Then on the upload complete action they could be removed and the other table column, containing the thumb or file uploaded file name would also be updated.

Means the upload forms would get separated from rows update, which might work better with large files, I guess.

I would like to use the DataTables as graphic files submission form for the clients who want to decorate their exhibition booths at trade fairs. The files usually range from 0 to 500 MB.

I think we are having the same conversation in two different threads. Let's continue it in just one.

Allan

This discussion has been closed.